Chapter 43

"Wha-what, what is this?" I demanded, hands flying around as I turned to face Thorne.

"Why are we here?" Logan tilted his head, looking curiously at the house in front of us.

It looked the same as ever: Two-storied, big windows, painted a bright, cheery sunshine yellow with dark grey roof tilings. However, it looked different inside...something I couldn't put my finger on.

"We're going in." Thorne announced calmly.

I whipped my head quickly to face him. "What? Why?"

Thorne turned to me, his crystal blue eyes staring intently into my own. "Because some fears need to be overcome."

Fears? What fears?

"What do you mean by-" Suddenly, the meaning of his words hit me like a freight train.

"Oh," I whispered. "Oh."

"What does he mean?" Next to me, Maddie grasped my forearm.

"My mum...she's...she's an Elemental too. A Nature," I said softly, closing my eyes.

Maddie's grip on my arm loosened and she took away her hand in shock.

Opening my eyes again slowly, I turned to see her exchanging worried looks with the others. Seeing me looking at them, Noah quickly smoothened his features into a mask of tranquility. "Don't worry Ally, she'll be fine."

"She's possessed. Possessed! You do know that, right?" I cried out in anxiety.

Noah's face became slightly worried again as he continued to try to console me. "Yes, of course, but-"

"Then how can you say that she's 'fine'?" I exclaimed. They could literally hear the quotation marks in my words. "My mother, of all people, is walking around being a brain-dead zombie, controlled by who-knows-who, and you say she's going to be fine?"

Noah grimaced a little. "Um-"

"What he means to say is, Ally," Daniel cut in smoothly, "Is that we know she's possessed, but we'll find a way to stop it."

Noah quickly nodded his head along with Daniel. "Uh, yeah, what he said."

Rachel elbowed him in his stomach, mouthing, "No," over and over again while shaking her head.

"Anyways," Thorne strided up easily to the front door and pulled open the wooden door. "Shall we?"

I took a deep breath and walked to the front porch, the others following suit. Peering inside, the familiar interior greeted me. Looking around, there seemed to be no sign of my parents.

What had happened to my dad?

I sighed in worry. Daniel, sensing my distress, loped an arm around my shoulders and squeezed reassuringly. "It'll be fine," He soothed.

"Let's go," Thorne gestured towards the house. Walking in tentatively, the carpeted floor muffling our footsteps, we entered the living room.

It looked exactly like how it did before I left to go to the Academy. Only, the curtains were drawn shut, blocking all light from coming in. Without sunlight, the house looked like a haunted morgue. The forever-on TV was turned off and the radio shut down. The only sound was the tick-tick sound of the large grandfather clock, which added to the weird, creepy feel in the house.

"Hello?" Flynn called. "Anyone here?"

Silence greeted him.

"Friendly reception we have here," Logan frowned.

"Wait," Aurelia turned to face me. "If your mum's an Elemental, then what about your dad?"

"Human," I responded.

"Oh, great. One less possession we have to worry about," Lily sighed. "Where is he?"

"I have no idea," My eyebrows furrowed together.

Sliding my hand across the dusty wood wall paneling, I heard a voice.

"Hello?" I froze. Who was that?

"Hello?" The voice called out again.

Noah put up a hand, signalling us to not move. He quietly crept to the front door, where the voice was coming from. Hiding behind a wall, he looked at us and put up three fingers, counting down.

3...

2...

1...

Noah turned around and ran out of the door, crashing into something. Or someone.

"Who are you?" He demanded.

"Who are you?" The voice questioned back.

The rest of us traded looks and quickly followed after him. Piling out of the house, we saw that Noah had someone in a tight headlock and was interrogating him.

"Answer me first," He threatened, tightening his grip a little.

The man gasped and tried clawing weakly at Noah's arm.

I stopped in my tracks. That hair...

I walked closer, inspecting the dark blonde hair. I gasped in shock, "Dad?"

The man turned his head and I was greeted with a pair of rich brown eyes. "Ally?" Dad was equally surprised.

Noah loosened his grip. "He's your dad?"

I snapped out of it and put two hands on my hips, glowering at him, "Yes, now let him go!"

Noah immediately released him, hands up as a sign of surrender, "Okay, okay! I'm sorry!"

I sighed a little and patted his shoulder, "It's fine, you didn't know."

I faced my dad, "Dad, why are you here? It isn't safe, you should go."

My dad looked at me and smiled wearily. "I know. But I can't leave your mother here."

For the first time, I finally noticed how tired he looked. His hair was in a mess, like he hadn't combed it in the past few days. Eyes bloodshot and slightly swollen, as if he had been crying during sleepless nights.

"What happened to you?" I took his arm and gently pulled him up onto his feet.

He sighed, brushing off the dirt from his worn out, faded blue jeans. "I've had a rough couple of days. Your mum, well...I have no idea what's happening to her."

"Well, we do. And we're going to stop it." I led him and the others back to the house. "Do you know where she is?"

He nodded once, "Yes, she's in our room. She hasn't left for days, so I've been leaving food outside the door quietly before leaving."

We stepped into the living room again and we all simultaneously stopped in our tracks.

There, sitting in the rocking chair that my grandma had given us, was my mother.

--------------------------------------------------

Hi guys, the update is up! Hope you guys enjoyed this one! :)

I'm back after foreverrr and I'll try to update weekly from now on.

So, read, comment and vote! Bye and tell me what you think! :-)