Chapter 45

I choked out a strangled cry as my mother's grip tightened.

"Stop!" I heard my father yell and my friends sprang into action. Aurelia pushed forward in a flash and pulled my mother off forcefully, then proceeded to sock her in her face.

Lily and Flynn lifted me up. Tears blurring my vision, I watched as my mother staggered back and growled, trying to kick Aurelia in the stomach. Quickly, Noah intercepted it and blocked her leg. Logan joined in, grabbing her arm and shocking her mildly, just enough to stop her in her tracks.

Finally, Aurelia pushed her onto the floor and Rachel stepped in with her hand outstretched. Icy tendrils appeared as the temperature dropped and they wrapped themselves around my mother's limbs, freezing her onto the ground.

She snarled angrily, struggling furiously against the cold ice. "Stop trying to escape, your life would be easier that way." Aurelia said coldly, narrowing her eyes threateningly at her. My mother glared at her once before she lied back down onto the floor, her eyes darting to each one of us sharply.

Lily and Flynn were still holding me up, now with my arms wrapped around each of their shoulders. "Lift your head up," I heard someone say.

Weakly, I pushed my chin up as Maddie kneeled down in front of me. She took a strip of cloth and tied it around my neck so that it fit nicely. Coldness from the cloth seeped through to my neck and I sighed in relief as it came into contact with my bruise.

"I got Rachel to use her magic on this, so the coldness will last longer. We'll just have to make do with this now, Daniel will heal you later." She said, readjusting the cloth. Tying the knot tightly to make sure it wouldn't fall off, she looked up at me, "Are you okay?"

"Does it look like I'm bloody okay?" My voice came out as a coarse, soft whisper as I tried being sarcastic.

Maddie raised an eyebrow at me in turn, "I'm not joking, Ally. Be honest."

I sighed in resignation as I looked at the floor, "It hurts."

Lily, at the left side of me, rubbed my arm soothingly, "I know, it'll be over soon."

Flynn, on the other side piped up, "Yeah, Daniel will heal you, then you'll be as good as new." He tried to be optimistic as he patted my shoulder comfortingly.

"Yeah, I'll go call him over. He's helping the others. Keep the towel on and don't take it off." Maddie called out as she stood up and walked away.

I sighed. Lily nudged me, "Hey, cheer up. It'll be fine."

"Cheer up? I just got strangled. Again. And this time, by my mother."

"Yeah, but we'll get her back to normal soon so don't fret." Flynn interjected.

"He's right," Daniel walked over and knelt down in front of me. "Worrying won't help anything."

He untied the knot and slid the towel from my neck. Placing his hand gently on my throat, I tried not to hiss in pain at the feeling of his fingers against my delicate skin.

"Damn, your mum's strong," He said, pulling my chin up a little to look at the bruise. "There're purple and blue fingerprint marks on your neck."

He shifted his hand back to my throat and I felt a small tingle there. Warmness spread through my body, concentrated on my neck. After a while, he dropped his hand and I gingerly placed my finger on my throat, feeling no pain when I poked the skin.

"Thanks, this has to be like the millionth time you've saved my injured ass." I took his outstretched hand and pulled myself up.

"I heard injured ass and I came over immediately," Logan came up to us, smirking cheekily. "You butt hurt, Ally? Want me to talk a, um, quick look at it?" He wiggled his eyebrows with a Molester Moon expression on his face.