Chapter 50

^^^ Soviet Vostok Station, Antarctica (Rachel's location)

-------------------------------------------------

Rachel:

"I'm here?" I looked around in disbelief. "Holy - freaking finally! Yes!" I fist-pumped the air, earning multiple judgemental stares from a couple of penguins next to me. Huh, they must have gotten quite a shock after I magically appeared next to them.

Oh well, who cares.

"Wait, wait," I checked my paper. "Vostok Station." I read, squinting my eyes. "There're no directions..."

"How the hell am I supposed to find this?!"

-------------------------------------------------

After about ten minutes of aimless walking and more weird glances from more penguins, I finally encountered civilisation. Or, correction, two men.

Oh well, close enough, considering my current location.

"Uh, excuse me!" I waved to then frantically, hoping that at least one of them could speak English.

When I caught their attention, I noticed them exchanging glances with each other before somewhat hesitantly walking towards me.

"Hi, would you happen to know where Vostok Station is?" I shot them a bright, friendly beam, hoping that the magic of friendship would help me in my courageous quest to save the world.

"Ah, Vostok, yes. We work there." The taller of the two men said with a slight Southern twang, gesturing to himself and the man next to him.

"Pardon me asking but, what is your business there, miss?" The smaller, chubbier man asked with a heavy British accent.

...Man, I should have really thought this through.

"Um, well, you see...I'm a...writer for a newspaper and...I'm meeting my...colleague there so we can write up about Antarctica and its beautiful scenery." I laughed nervously, praying desperately that they would buy my excuse. My fingers twitched, a longtime telltale sign of my lie, and I quickly grabbed onto the end of my coat to hide them.

"Oh, if that's the case, we'll be glad to show you the way." The British man said smilingly. "What paper do you work for?"

"...Mystique News."

"I've never heard of that before." The other man piped up, looking at me curiously.

"...We're a new establishment."

-------------------------------------------------

"Alright, we're here." The man with the Southern accent said.

"Oh look! And there's the Ic- my colleague!" I pointed excitedly.

"Well, I'll be off now. Thank you!" I waved at them before quickly running off, being careful not to slip on the ice.

Running up to the woman, I stopped in front of her. "Are you Ida?"

She turned to me. "Indeed I am. Hello, Rachel. You reached here fast - it's a good thing considering the fact that boat rides take around 8 days."

I smiled, thinking back to how I had mercilessly pestered Thorne back at the Palace while he was trying to train Ally. He soon got annoyed and acceded to my request, giving the poor girl a break from her intensive training in the Earth element. "I have my ways."