Inaugurate

Inaugurate

(v.) begin or introduce

Years of my life just came crashing down on top of me.

This can't be happening.

She can't do this.

-----

Me and my long time partner Emily Prentiss emerged from the elevator at our new job, the BAU. We were laughing about some stupid joke I made on the way up but we quickly composed ourselves as we entered the glass doors. Everyone's eyes fell to us as murmurs started up.

We were well aware there was only one opening in the BAU but we've worked together for almost five years and Strauss signed off on it so here we are. Apparently it's rare for a partnership to join this unit.

I nodded toward a door at the top of the bullpen implying that that's where we needed to go, she nodded back in agreement. The room was quiet again due to their attention being on us. Emily had heels on so they made more noise than the boots I had. His door was open so I poked my head into the doorway.

"Agent Hotchner?" I questioned. His head looked up from the paper he was scribbling stuff down on.

"Yes?" I moved my body in Emily right behind as I placed my box on the edge of his desk pulling out my file, Emily did the same. As he looked through our file his eyebrows furrowed, in trying to break the awkward silence I introduced ourselves.

"I'm Agent Kira Monet and this is Agent Emily Prentiss. Strauss signed off on our transfer so this unit and we're starting today. We know that there is only one open spot but-" He cut me off with his own statement.

"There's been a mistake, I didn't sign off on this. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding." He set down our files and walked out of the room. And across the catwalk toward the conference room. An older man walked out as well and Hotchner stopped for a moment talking to him and both of their heads turned to me and Emily. "Did you sign off on this?" The man shook his head. I slightly scoffed and looked up at Emily with a 'what the hell' kinda look. She nodded her head in agreement.

We were forced back out of the building and I immediately called Strauss.

"Hello?" She picked up with her usual stern tone.

"It's Monet. Prentiss is also here with me." I quickly answered, my words coming out strongly.

"Oh Kira, how are you and Emily liking your new job?"

"Well apparently we don't have one ma'am." I tried to hide the anger in my voice.

"What?" I could practically hear the frown on her face.

"Agent Hotchner told us there was a 'misunderstanding'." Emily chimed in.

"I'll talk to him. Thank you for telling me." I heard the click of her hanging up and I threw my phone onto Emily's kitchen counter.

"This sucks." I said, throwing myself onto Emily's couch. Her doing the exact same.

"You're not wrong." She ran her fingers through her dark hair. "What are we supposed to do until we get a job?"

"We could go get a drink." I turned my head to face her. She shook her head thinking.

"Yeah, let's go." We picked up our purses and left without another word to a bar.

------

A few days later we finally got a call saying to come into the BAU. We didn't live together so we decided I would drive to Emily's apartment and we would carpool. I pulled up as she was locking her door. She was wearing a black pants suit with a red blouse underneath. I would be lying if I didn't say she looked attractive.

We got in her car, placed our bags in the back and off to the office we went.

It felt like Deja Vu coming out of the elevator again and walking across the floor and poking my head into Hotchner's office. This time thought he was expecting us.

"Monet, Prentiss, thank you for coming back. I apologize about last time." I pursed my lips and I heard Emily's awkward laugh. Hotchner picked up our files looking at how similar our work timelines were. "So you two are partners?"

"Yes, for lack of a better phrase, a package deal." I looked over at Emily as she continued.

"We trained together and both went to Interpol so we decided to become partners. Our previous boss was okay with that because our track record was almost flawless. I hope it's okay with you as well."

"Yes, it's fine but I only have one available desk." We all looked over the bullpen.

"Oh it's alright just get another chair and we're good." I smiled. Hotchner laughed a bit and based on the lines on his face he didn't do often.

"I need to introduce you to the rest of the team but I have a meeting to get to so let me get someone on the phone." He picked up his phone pressing a single button. Me and Emily shared a look of confusion. "JJ I need you to introduce our new agents to the rest of the team." She replied to him with something I couldn't make it out but could infer by what he replied with. "Yes, partners." He then hung up. Not a minute later a blonde woman about my height walked in.

"Hi and Agent Jennifer Jareau but you can call me JJ." She smiled, holding out her. We both shook it, stating our names. "Let's go introduce you two to everyone."

Walking out of Hotch's office JJ led us to the middle of the room clearing her throat to get everyone's attention.

"These are Agents Emily Prentiss and Kira Monet, the newest members of our team."

"Prentiss, Monet, these are Agents Derek Morgan, Jason Gideon, and Doctor Reid." Morgan nodded, Gideon quickly said hi and Reid waved. "There is one more person I need to introduce to you so you all can get to know each other later." We were led out of the bullpen and down the hall to the door she pressed a few numbers on a key pad and opened it.

"Welcome to the Lair, how may the goddess of all knowledge help you today?" The woman turned around in her chair and her hands came up to her lips as she gasped. Her voice was hushed and was just above a whisper. "Are these the new Agents?"

JJ's voice was just as low as she responded. "Yes." The woman stood up abruptly walking over to us holding out her hand.

"Hi, I'm Penelope Gacia and you can call me Penelope or Garcia, whatever you like." She smiled brightly and it was so infectious I had to smile back.

"Hi, I'm Kira Monet but Kira is fine."

"And I'm Emily Prentiss, call me anything you'd like." She let out a breathy laugh.

"Great!"

That's when JJ's phone rang and all of our heads turned to her.

"JJ."

"Okay...yes sir...I'll get everyone now." She hung up, sticking it back in her pocket. "Hope you two are ready for your first case."