Yuanfen

Yuanfen

(n.) a relationship by fate or destiny; the binding force between two people.

I pulled into the familiar parking garage, that place I used to park still open. I climbed out of my silver 2008 Honda CR-V and walked to the passenger side. While in New York I got a new briefcase and decided to use it here. I quickly walked across the damp concrete. The only sound being my black heels hitting the ground. I was wearing a black skirt that came to my mid to lower thigh with a white button up tucked in. Not that you could see it though I was wearing a tan trench coat that tied around my waist. It fell to my knees so it looked like that was all I was wearing.

As I patiently waited for the elevator to reach the sixth floor I pulled a small mirror out of my pocket making sure there were no stray hairs.

Ding

The doors opened and everything hit me. The smell of the air was clean like it was four years ago even though there were way more people on the floor it wasn't stuffy. I walked through the people in the hall looking at where everyone in the bullpen was. That's when I saw her.

Emily.

Her hair looked thinner now due to the layers she had cut and she had bangs that framed her face perfectly. She was wearing a navy blue shirt with a v neck that exposed her collarbone. I couldn't see her pants but if I had to guess they were black cargo pants. She looked amazing.

I had to take a deep breath before entering through the glass doors. I was going to see Hotch first. I strutted across the floor. The laughter and chatter quieted down extremely quickly and in my peripheral vision I could see Morgan, Reid, and Emily's jaws hitting the floor.

"Garcia I'm not replacing anyone."

"But sir we're down a man." I heard the tail end of Hotch and Garcia's conversation. "Me and JJ's job crossed over the most and I can tone down my wardrobe, that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make."

"That won't be necessary." I stood in his doorway as Garcia turned her body around. Her mouth fell open and let out a loud gasp.

"Oh my god" I smiled a bit toward her. "Kira.." She walked toward me but slowly as if I was a ghost.

"Hey, Pen." I opened my arms knowing she would want a hug. As I thought she jumped in my arms tightly reciprocating the hug.

"What happened to you? One day you just disappeared and nobody told any of us anything."

"Strauss moved me back to New York into the undercover ops branch up there. I couldn't talk to anyone down here and I'm so sorry." I gave a sympathetic look.

"Emily was destroyed, she thought you left because of her."

A wave of sadness fell over me.

I need to talk to her.

I immediately turned around and made eye contact with Emily. I dropped my briefcase running down the few stairs and over to where she was standing. I threw my arms around her neck and hers wrapped around my waist.

"je pensais que tu m'avais laissé"

"I thought you left me"

What she said was muffled due to her face being tucked in the crook of my neck but I heard her and closed my eyes taking in everything. Her intoxicating scent of leather and vanilla entering my other senses. I loved when she spoke to me in one of the many languages she knew, even though she would only do it so other people wouldn't know what she's saying.

"Je n'en rêverais jamais ma chérie"

"I would never dream of it my dear"

She started to pull away but I didn't want to let go. She looked into my eyes and thousands of words were said but nobody could hear a single one. I felt a tap on my shoulder and was forced to tear my eyes away from my partner. I smiled seeing who it was.

"Can I get a hug like that? I think I deserve it." Morgan held open his arms and I embraced him. I could smell the cologne he put on that morning, it wasn't bad but it also wasn't Emily's scent. Something about her made me feel calm and protected. Something I missed.

I let go of Morgan to see Reid awkwardly standing there rocking on his feet with his hands in the pockets of his khakis. I waved knowing he didn't like hugs. I sighed not wanting to leave this moment but I needed to talk to Hotch.

I walked back over picking up the briefcase I dropped a few minutes earlier.

Hotch was on the phone writing something on a piece of paper. It looked like an address and a few names.

"We just got a case, I understand you just got back and if you would rather-" I held up my hand to get him to stop, I have a habit of cutting him off.

"If I wasn't ready right now I wouldn't have come now where are we going?"