Inchoate

Inchoate

(adj.) Recently started but not fully formed. Just begun.

My cheeks were burning bright red and Emily's ears were a matching scarlet tone. Neither one of us were moving as I was pushed over the back of one of the arm chairs and Emily hovered over me.

"I uh-" I cut Emily's out loud thought by cradling her face in my hands and smashing my lips into hers. Months, years of this unrelenting tension dissolving between our bodies. Her strong hands pulled me closer to her, our hips pressed together. My fingers tangled in her hair and our lips worked together like they were made to.

We finally pulled away only to breathe and my hands fell to her shoulders and her grip loosened on my hips. We just stared at each until a goofy grin took over our faces and burst out into unwavering laughter. I threw my head back and Emily's forehead rested on my shoulder. This was the first time in a while I had genuinely laughed.

After a few minutes our laughs died out.

"Kira, we just did that."

"And I'm glad we did, wow I've been wanting to do that for months." I giggled.

"Then maybe we should do it again." Emily leaded back in, this kiss was slower, more passionate. There was no desperation, it was just our raw emotions, just how in love we are with each other. I forced myself to pull away from the kiss, taking a moment before opening my eyes.

"Let's go to dinner." I offered.

"Are you sure we should be seen in public together?"

"Isn't where we are now public?" I looked around the room.

"Yes, but I live on the third floor so we could leave at any time." She smiled at me but it soon fell. "You're no longer Kira..."

"..And you're no longer Emily." I finished her thought. "Well then we should just think about it like we're under cover Miss..." I waited for her to finish.

"Abbott," She announced proudly. "Scarlett Abbott."

"Well Scarlett, I'm Cassandra Dupont. Will you do the honor of joining me for dinner now?" I drew out 'now' for emphasis.

"I guess I can squeeze it into my schedule." She joked.

—--

We were standing outside the restaurant we just ate at. I had shed my coat and scarf due to the warm late spring weather.

"I had a great time Cass." Scarlett aka Emily smiled as she looked over at me, the light from all the buildings glistening in her deep dark eyes.

"I did too, we will definitely have to do it again." I returned her sweet smile with my own. "Will I have the honor of seeing you at the coffee shop I work at tomorrow?"

"For sure. I'll see you then." Emily winked and walked into the blanket of darkness that had taken over the city as I waited for a passing taxi to get my own ride home.

—--

For the next few months every day I was on shift Emily would come in and get something and the days I didn't work we would be going on adventures all over. Despite the fact I was dead I was having the time of my life. It was like we didn't have any fear in the world. Everyone thought we were dead and we could just live.

"Good morning Cass." Emily walked into the coffee shop.

"Morning Scarlett, your usual?"

"I would love that. I also need to ask you something." She leaned over the counter and lowered her voice. "Will you come over to my place tonight?" I felt my neck begin to burn. After that day we made out I had no clue what we were, we hugged and held hands but we never spoke about it.

"Uh, yeah. What time?" I handed her cappuccino as she thought.

"Whenever you feel like it, just don't make it too late. I actually have to go but I'll see you later." She rushed.

We didn't really have a way to be in contact because we didn't want to give each other our numbers and have a link between us that is obvious. We knew the coffee shop was a link but I could quit my job and be in Finland before sundown if needed.

"Okay, c' ya." I waved as she jogged out the door.

What was that about? She normally stays a while.

—--

I was out shopping for a dress because I wanted to look nice for whatever Emily had planned and I was walking out with shopping bags when I saw someone I recognized.

Oh shit.

It was an old boyfriend from my days at Interpol. Oliver Lavigne. He was crazy creepy, freaked me and Emily both out. He was cute at first and that is what I liked but he soon became obsessed with me and wouldn't leave me alone. How I ran into him here and now? I have no clue.

I looked different now, older, more mature but if he saw me it would be dangerous. I ducked into another store and waited for him to leave, luckily it didn't take very long.

—--

I knocked on Emily's door, smoothing down my new satin dark green dress before I heard the clicking of her heels on the other side.

Glad I dressed up.

"Hey Ki- Cass c'mon in." I walked in the door and I was hit with a delicious smell.

"Em, am I smelling cassoulet?" I asked after she shut the door. Her brilliant smile lit the dim room. When we both lived in France we weren't huge fans of all the cheese and milk so we learned other recipes that had less and I fell in love with cassoulet.

"Yes, I know it's your favorite so when you agreed to come I knew I would have to make it. Sorry for rushing out. You look really nice though, the color looks amazing with your eyes." There was a moment of silence where we just stared at each other until she cleared her throat and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "Let's eat."

We sat down at her kitchen table and she served my plate. We were talking in the candle light until there was a loud knock on the door which seized our conversation. We shared a frantic look and Emily slid off her heels so she could walk up to the door without being heard.

"What the hell?" She whispered just loud enough I could hear.

"What?" I whispered back.

"It's that Oliver guy you dated like nine years ago." She whisper yelled.

Why does Emily remember him and how the hell did he find us?