Absquatulate

Absquatulate

(v.) To leave without saying goodbye.

The case came and went, it was crazy to say the least. Who would have thought our first case would be stopping a potential terrorist. It's like we never left Interpol.

I laughed at my own thoughts. Realizing I was still at my desk I tried to cover it up with a cough.

"What's so funny over there giggles?" Morgan looked up from his file.

"Nothing, I was just thinking about something from a few weeks ago that Emily said." I looked over at her while rubbing the bottom of my nose. She knew I was lying, that was my tell. Everyone else probably didn't know just yet but after years of working together we know each other's ticks. Like when she's lying she crosses her arms really tightly or when she gets angry or annoyed she taps her gun if she has one on her hip or taps her fingers together. She knows I have a habit of picking my cuticles and when I get anxious I bite my lips. Just comes with being partners.

"I never got to ask, how did you two meet?" Reid interjected himself into the conversation.

"We met at parties held by my mother occasionally due to Kira's father being a close friend of hers but officially met during training about 10 years ago, we started working for Interpol together and then became partners." Emily leaned back in her chair putting her hands behind her head.

"We've been kicking criminal ass as partners in the field for nine years now." I held out my hand and Emily gave me a fist bump. Her hands were cold, they were always cold but not in a gross way it was like she had just been in the snow.

"That's amazing, statistically partners only last about four years on average in our field and seven in most others." Reid leaned over his desk with a small smile.

I looked down at my watch seeing it was around 6:30.

I shoved my files into my bag quickly and grabbed my phone and keys.

"Danny?" Emily asked not looking up from her work.

"Yeah." I pursed my lips getting up from my desk. "I'll see you guys tomorrow." And with that I rushed out of the bullpen and down to the parking garage.

"Who's Danny?" Morgan asked Emily, wiggling his eyebrows.

"Her brother's dog." Emily deadpanned. "He's on a trip to Italy with a couple of his co-workers and couldn't bring the dog so he drove down from New York where they are from so she could take care of him. Kira has to go pick Danny up from the doggy day care place."

"Oh.." Morgan trailed off.

"Did you think it was a guy?" Emily finally looked up from the paper she was writing on raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah, I did." Morgan admitted. Emily let out a loud laugh.

"That's a good one." She wiped a fake tear from her eye. Reid had a confused look on his face as you could hear the gears turning in Morgans head.

-----

I got to work early the next day so I could turn in my files from last night that I did at home and for some reason Hotch and Strauss needed to see me. I walked into the bullpen immediately noticing Strauss in Hotch's office. She looked pissed.

Fuck, I'm in trouble and I don't even know why.

I set my bag in my chair and took my coat off, setting it on the back.

Let's get this over with.

I took in a deep breath and walked toward his office. Before I could even knock the door was opened.

"Come in."

I stepped in and Strauss passed me to the other side of the room, Hotch was behind his desk, and I stayed near the door. The air was hot, almost suffocating I felt like I was being strangled but I kept my composure.

"Agent Monet please explain this." Hotch handed me a piece of paper, it was a photo. It was me walking down an alley.

"I was taking a short cut down this alley to get to the dog day care on the other block." I shrugged, I had nothing to hide, about this at least. "Are you following me?" I furrowed my brows looking in between the two of them.

"This isn't about us it's about you walking through an alley that is now a murder scene." Shock washed over my face.

Are they accusing me of murder right now.

"Ma'am I can assure you I would never kill anyone." I threw the photo back on his desk. "And sir, if there is anything you ever need from me just ask. I would like a personal life." I turned to leave but was stopped.

"Sadly I cannot take your word for it Kira, I'm transferring you to a stay in position so until this is taken care of you will be back in New York staying with your brother and working out of undercover ops up there."

"Excuse me ma'am? What about my partner?"

"Until you're cleared you are not to have contact with anyone here, you also cannot tell anyone you're leaving."

"So I'm just disappearing?"

"Yes. This is effective immediately." Strauss left the room.

"What the hell Hotch? I've only been here three weeks and I'm being forcibly moved to New York because I was crossing through an alley. It's bullshit."

"Language Monet. It's over my head."

"But following me isn't?" I asked, defeated. I looked out at the bullpen and everyone started to show up. "So do I just grab my stuff and leave?" I fidgeted with my fingers trying to swallow the lump in my throat.

"That's probably the best choice, and listen Kira I'm sor-" I cut him off, him thinking that a simple apology was going to work was infuriating.

"I don't want your sorry Aaron." His eyes grew at me using his first name. "I want you to clear my name.." I looked out at Emily in the bullpen. "So I can come back and work with my partner." I looked back at his cold eyes. "Do I make myself clear?" He shook his head in understanding.

There were a few moments of silence but my head was pounding. "There should be a car waiting for you out front."

"What about my car?"

"It'll be sent to you in New York along with some of your belongings. Have a nice flight Kira." And with that I left his office, it was surreal, I was leaving my partner and the family I had made in the past three weeks. It felt like everything was in slow motion. I quietly grabbed my stuff and headed for the doors. Tears threatened to spill out of my eyes as I listened to Morgan and Emily both call for me. Before I could even click the down arrow on the elevator Reid came out drawing something on a notepad.I walked in, turned around and looked through the glass doors for the last time until who knows when. Emily started running toward me screaming for me to stop but I clicked the close door button unable to look her in her eyes.

Goodbye dear friend, no goodbye my love. I hope to see you soon.

I broke down as the elevator descended.

Years of my life crashing down on top of me.

This can't be happening.

She can't do this.

Why me Strauss?