Annasach

Annasach

(adj.) strange, rare, unusual

The next case came. It has been rough, a creep stealing children off the Appellation trail. He took a young boy, Robert and his sister, Ana. We ended up finding his sister after she ran away when her brother distracted our unsub but there was no sign of anyone nearby.

We had closed in on our guy and were checking an apartment complex. Me, Morgan, and Emily cased his room and he wasn't there but there was some blood next to the window. We called down to Hotch. He told us to case the rest of the building and that him, Rossi, and the local PD were going to check the surrounding blocks. 

"Prentiss, you take these top two floors, I'll take the bottom two and Kira, take the basement." Morgan gave us orders and we split. Emily went down the hall and me and Morgan sprinted to the stairs.

3

2

1, Morgan took off through the door.

B, I crept over toward the door at the bottom. I heard shuffling.

I quickly took out my gun sliding open the door and turning in all directions. Nothing. It was dusty and smelled moldy. I crinkle my nose a bit at the rancid smell. I continued forward though. There were fresh boot tracks that came from a puddle near another door so I followed those. I heard something shuffle again on the other side of a large sliding door. I took one hand off my gun bringing my watch near my face.

"Basement, I think I have something. Stairwell doors and keep going straight." I whispered and brought my hand back to my gun. Not a second later the door jerked open. I jumped a bit getting my gun ready but it was a child. Not any child though the boy we were looking for.

Robert's eyes were full of pure terror. I suddenly felt like I was going to burst into tears just from the few seconds of time I looked at him but I stayed stoic. He was dragged back inside and I jerked the door open.

"Brandon Stiles! FBI." I yelled. He immediately dropped the kid and he ran to me grabbing my waist for protection. Right at that moment Morgan showed up to put the handcuffs on him.

"I didn't do anything." Stiles mumbled.

"Shut up." Morgan shoved him forward. I picked up the kid, letting him rest his head on my shoulder.

"You're really strong Robert, you know that? You're safe now kiddo. You can relax, I'm really proud of you." I rubbed circles on his back as I walked up the stairs and he only hummed in response, poor kid was probably exhausted. We walked outside and I squinted my eyes getting used to the bright sun trying to find the ambulance.

I set Robert down on the edge of the ambulance as we waited for the EMT.

"You said you're FBI right?" That was the first thing Robert asked me.

"Yep" I smiled sweetly. "My name is Kira."

"Will you ride with me in the ambulance?"

"Sure, I need to go tell my boss though." I pointed over to Hotch.

"He looks mean."

"Super mean." I joked. I stood up. "I'll be right back, promise." I walked over to where Hotch and Rossi were standing. "Robert asked me to ride in the ambulance with him to the Hospital."

"Okay but stay in contact."

"Yes, sir." I jogged back over the ambulance as they were about to close the doors.

"Are you riding Agent Monet?" One of the EMT's asked.

"Yes." I stated sharply.

We showed up at the hospital and hooked everything up to Robert as he started to fall asleep, I sat on the other side of the room picking at my cuticles when a hand rested on top making me stop. I looked up to see Emily.

"What are you doing here?" I whispered trying not to wake Robert up.

"Making sure you're okay, kid cases hit us all hard." Emily matched my tone picking up on the fact the boy was asleep. She sat down in the chair next to me. "I can tell this one hit you hard Kira." She put her arm around my shoulders rubbing her thumb in abstract lines. I leaned into her touch and I wanted to cry, I still didn't know why but I refused, I hated crying in front of people. Emily has only seen me cry once since we met. Even my brother has only seen me in that state a handful of times.

I drifted off to sleep not realizing my head had fallen onto Emily's shoulder until Robert's family came rushing in the door.

"How was your seven and a half minute nap?" Emily brought her mouth to my ear so the other people couldn't hear her.

"You timed it?" I slightly laughed rubbing my eyes.

"I knew the family was going to be here soon. I was the one who called them. I wanted to see how long you could sleep." We both looked at the family and decided it would be best to give them their space.

"Ms. Kira!" Robert yelled after me. I turned my head and met his gaze, his whole family now looking at me too. "Thank you." I saw the boy smile for the first time and it warmed my heart. The sadness and fear I didn't realize I had for the past few days dissolving away. I smiled back at him, staying for just a second before meeting Emily in the hallway to walk back to the team and probably make our way back to the jet.