Chapter 38

Sarah's p.o.v.

It was November 13 already. I was really busy all the time and so was Steve. My duties inquired not only research now, but also missions that means I have to train a lot. When Steve and nor I'm on a mission we're training together and Natasha also is our 'training buddy'. I had even been an assistant in a lab when needed, so there've been days when I fell asleep immediately when I got home without dinner but that's not a big deal unless I've lost some weight.
I've tried to contact with John but he's always avoiding me and, when I spoke about that with Alice and Mike, they said that he's pretty distant from everyone. I really wanted to settle everything but if he's avoiding me and others then I guess he doesn't. For me it's painful because loosing your best friend, one of your closest persons is hard. With Emma is almost the same - I'm giving her time to think about her life and future, and I know that she's trying to fix everything by herself, and honestly - she's doing really well. How I know that? I have sources.
My relationship with Steve is great. We're really busy but we always find time for each other. He often brings me flowers and I often bake cookies and other sweets which he loves and Steve is still catching up with many things so I help him with that too.
On our one month anniversary I was on the mission so we celebrated it few days later. We went to the same Italian restaurant as on our first date and then we went to the park and watched the stars.
Now I was really nervous if we could make it to Anna's wedding and Alex's birthday. It's in two days and a lot can happen in that time. The world is never in complete peace. I sighed and dropped the pen, leaning back in the chair. My phone vibrated and I took it. I had a text message from Alex. Yeah, he's really cool grandfather - he's on 'Facebook', 'Twitter' and even 'Instagram'. Alex is 'following' there almost all of the relatives.
'Hey, sweetie. I hope you'll arrive tomorrow. Is Steve coming with you? I really want to meet him and so does others,' he had written.
I couldn't answer that I don't know so I stood up and went to Fury's office. Well, I'd come there sooner or later anyway.
"Hi, can I talk to Director for a second?" I asked agent Hill.
"Yes, he's available now," she answered typing something on her tablet.
"Thanks," I smiled and went in his office.
"Agent Johnson, what brings you here?" Fury stood up, and we shook hands, "please, take a seat."
"Thank you, sir. It won't take long," I sat down.
"Is that about Alexander Johnson?" he looked me in the eyes.
"How do you know that?" I frowned.
"I have ears everywhere," he smiled for a second and then became serious again.
"Sir, I wanted to ask if it's possible for me to go there tomorrow. If it's needed I can be back here on Sunday," I stated.
"Yes, you can," Director nodded.
"Thank you, sir. And one more thing - is Captain Rogers allowed to join me?" I felt so embarrassed and my cheeks were burning but I asked anyway.
"Yes, I think you both have earned few days off."
"Thank you, sir," I stood up and so did Fury.
"See you on Monday," he said while we shook hands.
"Yes, sir. Thank you, sir," I allowed myself to smile.
I went out of his office and ran down the corridors to stairs. I ran down them and rushed to the gym. Steve was punching one of the punching bags. I quietly went to him and jumped on his back, wrapping my legs around his waist, and arms - his neck. He flinched a bit and when he realised that's me, he put his hands under my thighs to support me.
"Hey, why you're not in your training clothes?" he turned his head and I leaned in to peck his lips.
"I have to tell you something," I said, hugging him tighter.
"Someone is excited," he smiled, walking to the bench where was his water bottle and towel.
"Because I have awesome news," I kissed his cheek.
"What you've got?" he set me back on my feet and took his water bottle.
"We can go to Atlanta tomorrow," I tried not to squeal and jump like a five-year-old.
"What? How?" Steve almost spit the water.
"I talked with Fury."
"Wait, did you asked about me to him? I could have done that by myself," frowned and didn't seem being happy at all.
That also brought down my mood.
"Sorry, I just thought you'll be happy. I have a lot to do, don't wait me for a training," I turned around to go back.
"Wait, I didn't mean it like that," Steve grabbed my hand and pulled me back into his chest and wrapped his arms around my torso.
"I know, sorry. Just stress," I sighed, hiding my face in his chest and wrapping my arms around his waist. "I know. You just really surprised me, and I am happy. And by the way you deserve some days off," he kissed the top of my head.
"Hey, don't put yourself down," I looked up in his blue orbs and poked his side.
He laughed and leaned down to kiss me on lips. It was short but sweet kiss.
"I'll better go. Work won't finish on its own," I pulled away, patted his chest and went away.
"See ya later," he shouted back.
As I was in the corridor I took my phone out of the black jeans pocket and replied to grandfather:
'Hi! We'll be there tomorrow. Can't really tell when but I'll call you.'
While I was in the elevator and on the way back to my desk, I checked possible options of flights. In my opinion flights before noon can be dropped off. Well I don't how about Steve, but I really hoped that he'll agree with me. I don't mind having a good sleep in a while.
"Sarah, could you please help me in the lab?" one of scientists asked.
"Sure," I answered and followed him.
Well, that's what happens when you're so clever as I am. Everyone needs you, but I don't complain because I like chemistry. I had to replace one of the assistants, who's ill. Most of the stuff Doctor had done by himself, but with some things he needed help.
When I had done, I went back and continued my work. I tried to get done as much as possible so I didn't notice what time it was.
"You're not going home tonight?" Steve asked, making me jump a little because I didn't hear him coming.
"Damn, you scared me," I turned to him.
"You know, I can carry you away," he smirked.
"What time is it?" I frowned, taking a look around and seeing that I was the only one still working.
"Almost 8pm," Steve gave me are-you-serious look.
"Damn. I have to finish this," I whispered gathering papers together.
"No, you'll go home," he stated.
"By the way, what are you doing here this late?" I frowned, quickly typing information in computer.
"Just did some stuff to keep me busy while waiting for you," he twirled a strand of my hair.
I sighed and rested my forehead on the desk. He's usually waiting for me and this wasn't an exception.
"Let's go. And it's an order," he rubbed my back.
"As you say, Captain," I giggled and straightened in my seat.
I turned off the computer and cleaned up the mess on my desk. Steve patiently waited for me.
"I'm done," I sighed.
"Good," he kissed my cheek and we went to the elevator, holding hands.
We went down to the garage and sat on Steve's Harley. I tightly held on him all the way. When we reached my apartment I hopped off of bike and kissed him on lips.
"So at first - promise me you'll eat something, and second - what time shall I call you?" Steve smiled.
"Yes, I'll eat something. And I don't mind having some sleep, so how about 11am?" I rised one eyebrow.
"Okay, see you tomorrow," he smiled and leaned in for another kiss.
"Okay," I pulled away and went in the building.
In days like this I wanted that there'd be an elevator. I stumped up to my apartment and immediately headed to kitchen because I was starving. I opened the fridge and closed it because it was empty.
"Right, I had to do grocery shopping today," I muttered.
So I ordered cheese pizza and while I was waiting it to arrive, I changed in old basketball shorts and black t-shirt. Knowing myself, I can't leave packing for tomorrow, so I took a suitcase and started to pack clothes in it - underwear, socks, jeans, sweatpants, t-shirts, a hoodie, red dress and matching heels. Also put in my make-up bag and some jewelry. I was on my way to bathroom to get other stuff but doorbell interrupted me. I was so happy that I finally got my food and I ate my favourite pizza watching TV.
Eating made me more tired so I decided to go to bed although it was nearly 9:30pm. I turned off the TV and brought those few pizza slices I couldn't eat to kitchen and put it in the fridge. My phone started to ring and I went back to the living room. Flopping on the couch, I took it from the coffee table. I didn't know - laugh or cry - because my long lost best friend was calling me.