Chapter 61

Sarah's p.o.v.

It was about 8am when I gave up on sleep and got up. I took a shower and got dressed in the same jeans, blue t-shirt and black hoodie, leaving the dog tags under the shirt. Then I brushed my hair and applied some make-up. Still I wasn't hungry and I turned in my computer. I unlocked my phone and saw I had messages from mum, Emma and grandpa. I started with mum:
'Where are you? Are you all right? How do you feel? Why Steve isn't with you? Do you need me?'
I sighed, knowing that we will have a talk when I'm back so I started to write a reply with lying about Steve again.
'Mum, I'm fine and I feel good. Steve is working and no, I don't mind being alone. Just went abroad for a few days. You got nothing to worry about. Love you.'
Yes, I knew that lies sooner or later come in daylight but I just couldn't tell someone about our brake. I wanted to get answers to maybe fix my family and try to accept other things. I hated when Steve had worry about me and all I wanted was to make him happy. And if other woman would make him happy then I'm ready to step aside no matter how much I'd hate to do that.
I shook my head and continued with a message from Emma:
'Damn, you went on vocation alone? What's that so super secret that you can't even tell Alex where are you? Bring me something ;)'
'As you said - it's super secret. Ok, ok I'm just not sure how everything will turn out but I'll keep hoping to the best. And I'l think about that :D' I chuckled.
Guess I'm going shopping later. Then I connected my laptop to hotels WiFi and read Alex's message wich was a mix of mum's and Emma's message. I said that I'm fine and I'll bring something for him.
It was about 9am and I decided to shopping now because Annika's lectures begins at this time and ends about at 2pm. So I had about 5 hours to wander around Paris. I couldn't decide between Eifel Tower, Pantheon and shopping. Walk from my hotel till the Eiffel Tower is about 50 minutes long. Whilst to the Pantheon it was about 10 minutes. And shops were pretty much everywhere.
It was cloudy right now and, looking out of the window, I saw people walking down the streets with hands stuffed in the pockets of their coats and warm scarves wrapped arou d their necks. So I had finally made a decision for Eiffel Tower and shopping on the way back. I put on my combat boots, jacket, scarf and beanie. I hesitated about mittens and in the end I didn't take them. I put my phone in my jeans pocket and took my wallet.
On the way out, receptionist wished me a nice day and flashed a smile. Whenever I was with Steve, no one would try to hit on me, but now almost every man I've met tries something. But I would always politely turn them down. Well Harry is a different story because I had to spend 8 hours on plane with him and I hate when people around me are sad or depressed.
I chose a route to the Eiffel Tower along Rue de Babylone. Nobember's chilly wind bit my cheeks tried to sneak under my scarf but I adjusted it that almost half of my face was buried in the warm wool. I walked down the streets following the 'Google Maps' directions when after about twenty minutes I had reached 'Coutume' cafe. It looked really nice and I wanted also a cup of coffee. I went in and ended up ordering an omlette with cheese and a cup of coffee. The breakfast was amazing and I didn't even had to force myself to eat.
After the breakfast, I continued my way to the Eiffel Tower. When I made it, I couldn't resist to make a selfie with it. Then I took few more photos and wandered around it. When I had gone past two happy couples, I couldn't bear it anymore and went back. Well I had never thought about visiting Paris on my own. It certainly wouldn't have to be with a boyfriend. At least with a friend or my family. Paris is not only the city of love for couples. It's a city where you can share and later cherish memories of its beauty with everyone you love. It could be love for a friend or your family because it's love either.
But then there's me - all alone in 9th biggest city in Europe. On the other side of the Atlantic Ocean where I don't know anyone and the only reason why I'm here is to talk to Annika Cavey and try to fix my family which I ruined, blindly believing my father.
On the way back I took several photos of the city and stopped in few shops. I had to buy something to Steve too, because I was planning to talk to him when I return back to Washington D.C. and possibly he already knows that I'm here because of Natasha or Emily Brown. But so far none of SHIELD has tried to contact with me so maybe they don't even know I'm out of states.
I shook my head and went in the next shop. Yeah, I know it's cliche to buy a miniature Eiffel Tower but in opinion it would look good on his shelf. Then I kept wandering around and went in another shop where I bought s box of Lu's petits beurres because Alex and Lisa loves these.For Steve I bought carambars, but for Emma 'Haribo Tagada'. The time had flew so fast that it was almost 1pm so went back from Champs - Élysées to hotel along Boulever Saint - Germain. Of course I stopped few times to take a photo but then hurried back again. In the reception I saw Harry and I quickly grabbed my key, but not forgetting to thank. I ran to my room and dropped the bag on the bed and I flopped next to it with my face in the pillows. I let out a grunt when I felt sharp pain in my ribs and I turned to my back and waited the pain to fade a bit. I checked the time and got out of the bed and went out again.
"Do you need to suggest a place to visit, ma'am?" the same receptioniat who wished me a nice day in the morning asked with a thick French accent.
"Thank you for the offer, but I have already decided," I smiled.
"Parisians know the city better than the Internet," he leaned forward on the counter.
"I can't doubt that, that's for sure. But my friend has reccomended me her favourite places already, so I'm gonna visit them," I crossed my arms on my chest, still smiling.
"Your friend is a parisian?" he kept smiling.
"No. But thanks for the offer again. I really appreciate that. I have to go now," I turned around and was about to go.
"Okay, have a nice day," he said and I nodded walking away.
I went to the Université Paris-Sorbonne along Rue Monsieur le Prince because it was the shortest way. It wasn't 2pm yet and I waited not so far from it. After few minutes students started to flow out of the university and I carefuly watched for Annika. And there she was - in a black coat and black beanie and with red scarf. She hugged her friends and went to the direction of Eric Kayser. I followed her keeping a distance and waited for a moment to go in. She had already taken seat was sipping a tea or a coffee. I bought a piece of cheese cake and on the way to her table turned on the recorder on my phone. I sat in the sear opposite her. Annika looked at with a confusion when I placed my phone on and cake on the table.
"Hi. I'm Sarah and I came to talk to you," she looked at me like a trapped animal but didn't try to run or scream because I gave her my nicest smile and I talked to her nicely.

----------------A/N------------------

What's the best that can happen to you in summer? That's right - to get a cold. Spent almost all day in my bed full of tissues.
I have noticed that mostly I write in the evenings and/or nights. Right now it's 00:30am here. Yeah, I know I should sleep when I'm ill but when my inspiration is back I just can't let it go.
Anyway thank you for the 27,5k reads and 1,16k votes and all the awesome comments. You're the best, my rays of sunshine.
Love, Undi ❤