Chapter 56

Sarah's p.o.v.

My world just crashed again. I was just beginning to accept that my life won't be the same anymore because I don't have my best friend. I thought that I can always count to Steve and my family but now it seems that it's only Steve.
Well yeah I'm 24 and I don't have to watch my parents fighting over me and Emma but it still hurts knowing that things won't be the same in that way too. I don't even don't want to think how Christmas, my favourite holiday, will be this year because they're in a bit over than a month and my family seems like a disaster now. And I have always believed that mum's and dad's love is as strong as Alex's and Lisa's and they'll get over all this shit but I guess I was wrong all the time. And it's not only dad's fault because it takes two for a tango. And I'm guilty as well because I blindly believed him for months and didn't tell mum. It's my fault as well that my family has shattered.
"Honey, are you all right?" Alex's question snapped me back to reality.
"Yeah, I'm perfect," I quietly answered and laid down on my said with my back turned to him.
"Nurse said that you can go home today. You're more than welcome to stay in Atlanta," grandpa gently squeezed my upper arm still making me flinch.
"Beth wanted to visit you as well but she said that today's deadline to one project and Emma just couldn't get out of work due that Friday she took a day off. I'll call them, don't worry. And I promise to call you every day. Okay, I love you, princess," Alex sighed and stood up.
"Love you too," I whispered and pulled my knees to my chest as close as my sore muscles and all the cuts and bruises would let me.
After a while the door opened again. Maybe that wasn't that long how I thought, because I had lost any timing.
"Hey," Steve softly said and heard him sitting down on the plastic chair.
I shifted to my back and he smiled as I met his gaze. He looked tired and there was a fading bruise on his jaw.
"You can go home. I brought some clean clothes," he gestured to my duffle bag next to the chair.
"Thanks," I sat up and moved to edge of the bed.
I hated hospitals. The scent of medicine, white walls and floors, all the depressed people and death. Hospitals always make me depressed and in the moment I come in, I can't wait to get out of its created overwhelming atmosphere.
Steve stood up and placed the bag on thr bed next to me and opened it. I rested my forehead against his arm and put my hand on his. Immediately I was pulled in his embrace. A tear rolled down my cheek as I buried my face in his firm chest and I wrapped my arms around his waist.
"It's okay. Everything is going to be fine," he kissed the top of my head and gently rubbed my back.
"Thank you," I sobbed and clutched his shirt in my hands.
"For what?" he kissed the top of my head again.
"Everything," I pulled away and wipped the tears.
"Anything for you. And I think you should have these," Steve took out something from his jackets inner pocket and then reached behind me.
Something cold clinked on my chest.
I frowned and took the pendants - 'Steven G Rogers'.
"Wait, these are your dog tags," I looked up at Steve.
"Yeah. And I thought you wanted to go home," he gently kissed my forehead and handed me a pair of sweatpants.
With a lot of blushing I got dressed with Steve's help. Nurse came in and took out the catheter and said that papers are ready to sign. It was a bit unusual to feel the metal against my skin. I usually didn't wear any necklaces but I was sure that I won't take Steve's dog tags off unless it's really needed. He took my bag and held the door open for me. On the way to the elevator I hesitantly slid my hand in Steve's. He just smiled at me and interlaced our fingers. His touch and presence calmed me and made me feel safe. We got done the paper work and I held on him all the time.
"You look tired," I looked up at him.
"Don't worry about me. I'm fine," he caresed my knuckles with his thumb.
"Did you find him?" I raised one eyebrow.
"Ugh, yeah," he awkwardly looked away.
"You didn't beat him, did you?" I sighed.
He wasn't aggressive but if he got really mad he could destroy a punching bag easily.
"Yeah, I did," Steve whispered.
"Really, Steve?" I rolled my eyes.
"He deserved that. I won't let anyone get away without punishment," he frowned and stopped.
"Okay, calm down," I rubbed his chest.
"Lets go," he kissed my forehead and pulled me towards black car.
He opened its door for me and gestured to get in. I did as he told and then he shut the door and sat in the passengers seat.
"Hi," I said to Emily who was sitting in the drivers seat.
"Hey, how are you?" she answered driving off.
"I'm fine," I buckled the safety belt and sank in the seat, looking out of the window.
Streets, buildings, people and cars turned in a blur. My head was aching and my ribs as well. Every breath was painful and I just wanted to take a whole bottle of pain-killers to ease the pain and pass out for a while. I didn't want to think about what I'm going to say to John's parents at the funeral if I decide to go. Or explain why I won't go. I didn't want to hear about how mum and dad are fighting and reproofs from my other relatives how I helped Robert to hide his dirty secret and so on. They'll make me as their black sheep and families betrayer. This all won't be quiet at all. And if I'll tell that I work for SHIELD, then God help me to survive all this shit. Although it may seem strange but all shit happens at once and I can't wait to see what else can happen in my shitty life.

-------------------A/N----------------------

Finally I updated! Sorry that I made you so long but I there's an idea of a different (or maybe not so different) story in my head and it's like there all the time and I can't focus on this story. Sorry! But I managed to finish this chapter. Tomorrow gonna spend time with classmates and have fun, ar least I hope it will be fun. Of course my personal stuff again with which I don't want to bother you.
Anyway, seeing that with every day increases the number of reads and votes and thata you add my story to your reading lists makes my dat better. You're literally rays of sunshine.
Love, Undi ❤
P.S. Lately I have liked Lana Del Rey (don't know why told that but whatever)