Chapter 39

Sarah's p.o.v.

"Yes?" I hesitated, but picked up.
"Hi," John awkwardly said.
"Hi," I said.
"I.. I wanted to apologize. I've been such an ass. I'm sorry for everything and I hope you and Steve are okay. I've been selfish and ruined our friendship. I was jealous and... He's a a great guy. And I just hope you can forgive me," he sighed.
"You're such an idiot, but my idiot," I said, smiling.
I couldn't be angry at someone for long time and over a month without my best friend was terrible.
"I'm sorry I ignored you, but I just couldn't think what I might have caused," John sounded so relieved.
"Well, we have a lot to catch up, I guess," I chuckled.
"Yeah, we have. So, greet Alex and Anna from me. I have pretty much stuff to get done and also there's a business trip comming up and so on. Maybe we can have our movie night next week?"
"Ugh, yeah, that would be great. Just give me a call and I'll arrange an evening," I yawned.
"You okay? You sound really tired?"
"Yeah, just a long and exhausting week. But don't worry, we've got three days off, so I'll meet my family and even get some rest," I stretched on the couch and held back a yawn.
"So, you're going to introduce Steve with your family?" John asked.
As I knew him so well, I knew that he's probably pacing around his apartment. That's what he always does when is speaks with someone on phone.
"Yeah, knowing Alex and Lisa, they'll love him and my parents as well," I smiled.
Well, as Alex probably will recognise Steve, he won't step aside from him. And Lisa, my granny and Alexs wife, will love him with no big reasons, because, let's face it - Steve is adorable and gentleman, and not loving him is impossible.
"Of course they will," he bitterly said.
"Okay, I'm falling asleep right now and you said you have a lot to do so, bye, I guess," I chuckled.
"Yeah, bye," John hung up and I yawned again.
I stood up and went back to my bedroom. I decided that I'll finish packing suitcase tomorrow because there are only few things left. I stripped down to my panties and put on a huge t-shirt and crawled into my bed. It was awesome feeling inspite the cold sheets and as soon as I laid back, I fell asleep.

In the morning

My phone went off and I reached for it on the nightstand. I opened one eye to see who's calling me. As I saw Steves photo, a huge smile appeared on my face.
"Hey," I tried to sound awaken but my morning voice betrayed me.
"Hey, sleepy head. It's 11am," he laughed.
"Ugh, I had such a nice sleep," I yawned, covering my eyes with my forearm.
"Sorry, should I call you later?" I could even imagine how he raises his eyebrow and that made me laugh.
"No, no, it's fine. Thanks for waking me up," I said and sat up to stretch a bit.
"What's so funny?"
"Nothing. So what you think about flight at 2pm? Then we'll be in Atlanta in the afternoon," I got out of bed and started to make it, putting phone on the speaker mode.
"I don't know. I'm okay with any time."
"Okay, then I'll book the tickets. And I'll call you when I'm on my way to pick you up, okay?" I adjusted the pillows and I was done.
"Okay, bye."
"Bye," I said and hung up.
I plugged in the charger because my phone was close to death. Then I took my laptop to book the tickets. When that was done, I went to bathroom and brushed my hair, then took off my clothes and stepped in the shower. The hot water ran down my body but I didn't allow myself a long shower because I had to finish packing my suitcase, eat breakfast and fix my hair. When I was done, I wrapped myself in a towel and went to closet to pick clothes. I picked clean underwear, light blue jeans and that navy blue t-shirt with Captain America's shield and the clothes on. Well the choice of t-shirt may be a bit reckless but I don't care. I completely blow-dried my hair and then straightened it. While the hair straightener was cooling, I went to kitchen to make coffee and warm up the pizza.
Suddenly I remembered that I have to call my grandpa. I ran back to my bedroom and flopped on the bed, and took my phone to call him. He didn't pick up, so I wrote him a text message, as he's probably busy with stuff for tomorrow:
'Hi, we have a flight at 2pm. Don't worry, we can take a cab if you're busy.'
I finished packing the suitcase and brought it to corridor. My phone buzzed as I got two messages - one from dad and one from Alex.
'All right, sweetie. Can't wait to see you and stuff with granny's food :D' Alex wrote and I laughed.
Then I read what dad wrote me:
'The paintings finally arrived. I thought that I'll get gray hair :D'
I sighed in relief. Something had gone wrong with the courier service and we were afraid that we won't get the paintings in time. Anna love's art wery much and as she and her fiance bought a big house, dad suggested to present them paintings. Cliche but we don't care if she loves art. I sent dad many options and we decided for three.
'Great. But you know, you can dye your hair anytime :P' I replied.
'Hey, I'm not that old,' almost immediately, dad responded.
'Why you always have to be that serious," I rolled my eyes.
I washed the dishes and cleaned up the apartment a bit. Time was flying and I had to go if I didn't want to miss the plane. I put on my black combat boots, leather jacket and took the sunglasses. I checked that I have my keys, phone and wallet and went out of apartment, locking the door behind me.
"Hey, haven't seen you for a while. Where're you going?" my neighbour Josh caught me.
"Hi, I'm visiting my family. And yeah, I've been pretty busy," I smiled.
"Oh, I see. Let me help you with that," he pointed to my suitcase.
"Oh, thanks, but I don't want to bother you."
"No, it's fine," Josh smiled and carried it down.
I felt a bit uncomfortable but I know him well enough to not argue with him.
"Thanks. How can I make it up to you?" I asked.
"Thanks is enough. That's what neighbours are for," he smiled.
"Okay, thanks again."
"No problem. Have fun," Josh waved and went down the street.
I texted Steve that I'm on the way and put the suitcase in the luggage compartment. Then I got in the car and drove off. Soon I reached Steve's apartment but he was already waiting outside.
I stopped at the curb and he put his suitcase next to mine. Then he got in the passenger's seat.
"Hi," he smiled and leaned in to kiss me.
"Hi," I smiled and drove off.
The drive to the airport was silent, but not awkwardly. I parked the car in the parking lot and we got out.

Time skip

We were up in the air now and during the flight I told Steve about my family and other closest realatives.
"Hey, let's make a bet," I turned to face man.
"What kind of?" Steve raised one eyebrow being interested.
"I say that Alex will recognise you immediately," I grinned.
"Oh, you think so?" he grinned too.
"Yeah. And if I win, then you'll bake me blueberrie muffins," I wiggled my eyebrows.
"Fine. But if I win, you won't straighten your hair for two weeks."
"Fine," we shook our hands.