𝐌𝐢𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐲 ❦ 𝐇𝐨𝐬𝐞𝐨𝐤

Prompt: Y/N confides in her friend about something that has been bothering her

~~

"Why do we find joy in other's misery?"

Hoseok did a double take at his friend's question. The two were sat in a hidden corner of the court yard, away from their peers. Y/N had seemed somber the entire morning, making Hoseok worried for her.

Was something going on? Did someone hurt her? Why wasn't she telling him anything?

A million questions surged through the poor boy's head. He felt like he was going to explode if he didn't ask her something about her sudden change in mood. But, he had held back. She would tell him when she felt comfortable. She always did.

Y/N shook Hoseok's shoulder, bringing his attention back to her. "What's your hypothesis, Hobi?"

Hoseok drummed his fingers on his thigh, pursing his lips in thought. "I guess we're just cruel creatures at heart."

Y/N raised a brow at his statement, "What do you mean?"

"Humans have a natural survival instinct. We want to be better than those around us because our minds tell us that we have to be. Maybe that's why we laugh when someone trips, for example. I think it's a form of self validation."

"But what about the 'good people'?"

Hoseok scrunched up his face, "What's that supposed to mean?"

Y/N let out a breathy chuckle at his confusion. "People who exhibit good emotions, like empathy or selflessness."

"I suppose emotions like that are learned," Hoseok explained, "We gain feeling and understanding through our experiences."

The two sat in silence for a moment, absorbing the boy's wise words.

Hoseok was the first to break the silence, "Does your question happen to have anything to do with you being down lately?"

Y/N winced at his observation, "You noticed?"

"Yeah," Hoseok did a tiny nod, "I knew it was bad when I put on "Replay" and you weren't trying to do the high notes!"

"To be fair, I suck at them."

"But you always at least try- anyways, that's beside the point. I always notice when something's wrong, Y/N. You're my best friend, afterall."

An unreadable emotion flashed through Y/N's eyes, but was gone before Hoseok could identify it.

"Yeah, I know that you're my best friend, but still. I just thought I was better at hiding things..."

"Nothing slips past me," Hoseok playfully nudged her side with his elbow. "But, seriously. Is someone... doing something to you?"