1

March 23rd, 2021 | Chicago, IL.

India tapped her pencil against her desk as she sat in her last period of the day

India tapped her pencil against her desk as she sat in her last period of the day. She tried to keep her focus on the professor in front of her, of course failing.

She began to doze off, before her bestfriend tapped her arm.

"Bitch get up." Kesha whispered, looking over at her.

"Be quiet girl." India chuckled, rubbing her eye as she sat up.

"What are you so tired for? You didn't sleep last night?" Kesha asked, and she shook her head.

"I was helping Kendall with her homework. Well I didn't help I just did it because she's lazy and dumb." She shrugged, making Kesha laugh.

"Y'all just wrapped around each other's finger. What she do to make you do it this time?" Kesha chuckled.

"Ahem. Kesha, India, I'll wait for you to finish talking since it's more important than class." The professor, Mr.Lordes, cleared his throat. The class's attention went to the two of them, and she turned her head to face Kesha.

"Anyway, she's taking me to get food. Popeyes. I'm starving." She told her, making Kesha bust out laughing at how she continued talking.

"India, you're dismissed. Check your email after class." Mr.Lordes said.

"I don't care. Didn't wanna be here no ways. Bye bestfriend." She hugged Kesha, who laughed, waving.

"Boo. Pay attention." She flicked the class off as she walked out with her bag.

She hated when her professor just made it seem like they were disrupting the class. Nobody could even hear them, what's the point of stopping the whole lesson? Everybody else in the class was talking amongst each other but he only chose them.

She was beginning to hate college. The YouTubers she watched about life in college had to have been lying.

India, her older sister Asia, and both of her best friends Kesha and Kendall all attended Chicago State University, an HBCU campus.

Her school was definitely full of black people, but it didn't give what it gave online. She was expecting something totally different.

She pulled out her phone, calling Kendall and placing it to her ear.

"Wassup baby." Koda answered as she walked the halls.

"Where you at? Come get me." She mumbled, stopping at the vending machine.

"I'm pulling up." Kendall told her, and she pulled her phone from her ear, hanging up.

She got a bag of baked hot Cheetos out of the vending machine, heading towards the exit.

She pulled her mask down as she opened the bag of chips, walking out of the building.

Her eyes scanned the parking lot as she ate her chips, before laying eyes on Koda's 2022 Dodge Charger Scatpack.