Prologue 2

*This is still years ago but present tense! Sorry if it's confusing! The last one was supposed to be Izzy's memory!*

Izzy's POV

"Maddie. How can you say that?" I ask sitting on her bed in a pair of shorts and one of her tees. She's been in love with Paxton for years, I know she has, but seriously, she wants to marry him?

"I don't know Iz, I just have a gut feeling I'll marry him." She tells me as I sit on my elbows at the end of her bed while she's sitting in front of me. We're gossiping on a Friday night like we always do, we spend every weekend together and we've been best friends since preschool.

In a different world, Maddie would be my sister.

"You really love him don't you?" I ask as she nods. "I'm crazy, we're fifteen. We just started sophomore year two months ago, and I'm saying this." She tells me as I smile.

"I don't think you're crazy, but I just don't want to see you get hurt Mads, and I think your dad would die if you told him that," I tell her as she laughs.

"Totally would and Lance would kill me," She tells me as I sigh and ignore the Lance comment. I haven't talked to him all week, not after the intense make-out session we had in the backseat of my car.

"How did it go with him by the way? Was he an asshole like he always is?" She asks moving closer to the bed and pulling a blanket over her as we watch the television on her wall with some vampire's show.

"Of course what a dick," I tell her as she laughs and I ignore the pit in my stomach telling me I'm in love with her brother.

"I secretly think he's always liked you. Why else would he be a butthole?" She asks as I laugh.

"Absolutely not. Never." I tell her as she smiles. "I know right, gross. I'd never forgive him if he messed with you." She tells me smiling as she pulls me to her.

"Now come on, which vampire is hotter? Stefan or Damon? I'm thinking both." She tells me laughing as I nod and sit quietly.

If only she knew.

___

Two weeks later

I hate when Maddie doesn't come to school. I absolutely hate it, not to mention she's my only friend in this entire school and the only person I talk to about everything, well except her brother.

Of course, she's got the flu, it goes around every year and she is a magnet for it. I hate that, and I know she gets sick of being sick. I know she really feels bad because she just got her first period a week ago, late bloomer a bit, but she's never been big, only tall, and she's taking it pretty hard. So being the best, best friend I am, I put flowers, chocolate, and a box of pads at her doorstep and backed up a few feet this morning at the door of her house before knocking. When she came out she looked awful but immediately saw my gift and started smiling while her mom, Rylee came out and kissed me on the cheek.

I love her, she kind of reminds me of my mom in that sense, if my mom would get out of my stepdad's ass and come home every now and then.

I'm at my locker when I feel a presence behind me and I know who it is without even turning around. I know it is Lance, it smells like him. He always smells the same way his dad and even his brother do, they all smell the same. Like pine mixed with clean soap.

"Iz" he whispers behind me onto my neck as I open my locker and place my precalculus book in and take out my biology one.