4- A proper date

15th January 1978

"Mel I'm not gonna be in a film- no way. I hate this job as it is... what makes you think acting's gonna make that better ? I'll do adverts. That's it. " I laughed, watching as my managers expression turned more serious.

She wasn't necessarily my manager, but she definitely was the women who informed me of where I had to be and when I had to be there in order to keep up my title as the Petrov's 'hot model' daughter. I'd known Mel for years, and she knew me almost like the back of her hand, but she still asked questions I'd rather she didn't regardless of wether she already knew the answer or not.

"Why not ? It will give you that boost your career needs." She added, thinking the thought of my career growing would be one to peruse me to act, but it only drove me further away from the idea.

"No way. Not a chance Mel. Cmon you've been managing me for years- I say no every time."

"I don't get why." She sighed. I was right though, in the years she's supervised my career and booked my jobs, never once did I agree to an audition she's often tried to send me to. "But I've gotta ask- what's going on with that blonde from Queen ?"

I had to try and pretend that I wasn't shocked, pretend I had no idea who the band Queen were when really I'd been one of the girls to attend one of their parties only a few night ago. And like
Roger's arms hadn't been around me. She tapped her fingers against her desk as she waited for an answer, brushing her red hair out of her eyes with the other hand when I sighed slowly.

"What about him ?"

"The press got a picture of you with Roger Taylor in some coffee shop. I don't know what's going on but you ought to be careful- you know he's got a girlfriend. French chick apparently. You get caught as his mistress and you're done." She said firmly, my eyes fixed on her red lipstick as she spoke. I nodded quickly, unsure of what response she may have wanted to receive, and incredibly unsure as to why Dominique was still known as Roger's girlfriend.

"Don't worry. Bumped into him- that's all. Told him I liked his music." I nodded a little, my lips straight and focus far from the women opposite me as I thought of the words Roger had told me that were starting to sound like lies rather than truths.

"Fine fine." She paused as I grabbed my bag from the chair besides me, a simple gesture than gave her a good enough warning that I was finished with listening to whatever she had to say. "Please give the audition a chance- it's only a small part. Look what it did for Pattie Boyd, she met George on a film set. You could meet someone. It's about time."

"And is Pattie with George now ? Didn't think so. I'll find someone when I'm ready Mel- and not someone on a film set. I'll see you in a couple days... bye."

"Filming starts in April- do me a favour and just take the part. Please Adelynn." She replied, her tone heavy with frustration as I swung the door open and gave her a stare she clearly didn't appreciate.

"Bye Mel."

-

I was soon sat at home, just on my own watching some god awful movie and sympathising for the girl in it, a girl too skinny to be healthy and too dolled up to be natural.

I knew perfectly clearly that the lifestyle I already lived was one hard enough, and my name in a movie would never be one beneficial. It tempted me at first, the gorgeous life style I'd see those stars live, but everyone knew how it really worked. How my mothers life worked, how Marilyn Monroe's life worked, and the only thing in my life that I knew almost too well is that I never wanted to live that life.

I kept on watching the film though, with a guilt and sympathy for the girl on the screen, right until the moment my phone rang. I wanted to ignore it at first, pretend I couldn't hear the ringing as if echoed through the walls of my home, but I suddenly reminded myself whose call I said I would answer.