60- i told you

25th May 1985

"Here..." Julian smiled as he passed me a small wooden box with my name engraved against the lid, a beaming happiness shining throughout his expression before he let it fall into my grasp. "Roger wanted me to give this to you."

I was confused. Puzzled in fact. Pushing back one of my curls until it rested in place behind my ear as I slowly opened the box and glared at its contents. It was full to the brim of sheets of paper. All folded in half. I didn't have any idea what any of them said, glancing up at Julian briefly as he adjusted his hair and slipped out of the room with a small wave that left me to myself.

I unfolded the first piece of paper and immediately realised it was in fact a letter Roger has written. I gasped lightly to myself, a smile beaming as I glared at the scribbles words across it, giving myself a chance to appreciate what it was before I read it.

Adelynn,

I realised I was in love with you today. Poor timing I know. Very poor indeed. But regardless I miss you. And I want you back in my life. I sent you a letter after I realised me leaving Dom had reached the ears of the press. I left her cause I realised it was your smile I was in love with. Not hers.

-Roger

I smiled weakly as I recalled the memories the letter held, putting it to one side before I opened the next, my eyes starting to water as my lips curled upwards,

Lynn,

We had coffee today. I don't know why in fucks name I'm sitting here writing this but I am. You're never gonna read it, but I'm gonna keep it. Just in case. I wasn't sure what I felt when I realised I'd seen you again. I think I felt like I'd been given another chance to love you, but obviously I'm gonna think that when you've been on my mind for the last 2 years

-Roger

I didn't want to stop reading them. I didn't pause and let myself process any of it. I just kept reading as my mind fell overwhelmed.

Lynn,

This is the third time I've written a letter that you're not gonna receive and I still don't know what to do with them. But this time I've really really really messed up. Obviously. I don't know why I fucked her when I haven't stopped thinking about kissing you since the night I met you in 1977. All I've ever thought about since then is your lips. Even before I'd been given the chance to fall in love with them. And now for the second time, because I can't help but be such a cunt, I've robbed myself of them again. I'm so sorry Adelynn. I love you so much, not that I've ever managed to tell you that, and I have no idea why I do this to us.

- Roger

Lynn,

I got you back. And I'm not ever letting you go again. Unless I fuck up. Then you're definitely gonna find someone better.

I love you

- Roger

Lynn,

Right now you're upstairs pretending to be asleep after having your first shower since your dad paid you a visit.

This is poor timing but I've realised something pretty big.