23- the last time

2nd July 1978

Tw- abuse, drug use

I didn't waist any time that morning, not letting one second go unoccupied since the moment the alarm clock blared.

I was desperate to go home, trying my hardest to make every passing minute counting down to my flight back pass as quickly as it could. I craved the warmth of my own bed, and the safety of my home, and the thought of knowing I'd never need to come here again.

The incident from last night was one my mum was still clueless to, after coming back from the hospital much later than any of us anticipated. I hadn't yet seen her, meaning she hadn't yet been given the chance to analyse the cut on my face surround my bruises almost as dark as my hair.

Dad had slept on the sofa as far as I knew, passing out after a night of what I could only guess to be full of bags of powders and bottles of beer. I had never been more relived to be leaving him. Before I used to be terrified, scared of the thought of next seeing him, but now I knew I would never bother with him again.

But I was still yet to finally walk out that white wooden door, still not quite relived of turning the pages to my next chapter, which left me stood shyly outside my mums bedroom door with guilt flooding every inch of me.

I gently tapped the door, taking a short breathe in a poor attempt to prepare myself to say goodbye to my mum. She answered with a weak sounding 'come in', which I instantly followed, pushing the door back to watch her gasp as the wooden panel revealed my frame.

"Oh Adeylnn... I'm so sorry." She shot up from bed, rushing over to my frame where she instantly took each of my cheeks in her two hands, her stare with mine edging tears from my eyes. "I knew he would do it when I was gone."

"It's fine... I'm fine." I reassured her, gently grasping each of her wrists to slowly pull them down. "I um... I came to say goodbye. My flights in a couple hours and I ought to get to the airport soon."

"I know I know. I just wish he wasn't here. I would do anything to change it all you know... it destroys me everyday that I just let you have the childhood you did."

"Don't say that. I had you. I've got so many amazing memories with you mum... I would've come back sooner, but I couldn't. And I know you did everything you could... and in all honesty I don't think I turned out too bad." We both chuckled, both falling onto the bed when I noticed she couldn't quite cope with standing up that well.

"You're perfect. And I don't think I've ever been more proud of anyone. You're so strong too..." she sniffled, wiping a pair of tears as she smiled.

"I got that from you. You're the strongest person I've ever known..." she almost yanked me into a hug, tightly holding me in her arms like she would when I was little. "You'll never know how much I really do love you mum."

"I want you to promise me you'll never come back to this bloody house when I'm gone... alright ? I want you to live the best life you can. And I want you to make things work between you and Roger... because you and I both know you've never really loved someone like this before."

"I promise alright ? Now I want you to promise me you'll watch that bloody film I've been out here filming. And promise me you'll answer the phone when I ring you. Cause I'm gonna call you every bloody day." I replied, smiling as she nodded again, another pair of tears falling that she instantly wiped with her shaky hands.

"Of course. You better ring me when you get home. After I'm sure Connie smothers you with hugs like she did when you were little." I laughed, biting down on my bottom lip with a sense of nervousness as my eyes took a final chance to appreciate her worn figure.