17- why did i agree ?

8th April 1978

"Long time no see... how you holding up ?" Mel smiled slightly, her lips strangely their natural colour rather than painted red.

"I'm good... yeah I'm alright."

"You don't look it. You look shattered in all honesty... is it cause of your mum or ?" I chuckled slightly, shrugging as my leg started bouncing. She took a quick glance at the jumper I was wearing, my hair most likely in need of a wash and my lips biting at my nails, no stranger to the sight in front of her.

"I haven't spoken to mum. Do you know how she is ?"

"I gathered that from the fact you haven't answered your phone to anyone... I rang you a couple times. But I've only seen what's been in the papers, and it's not looking pretty Adelynn. And the questions about wether you're going to see her aren't either." I nodded slowly, a straight like taking to my lips as Mel sighed quietly.

I hadn't bothered with much other than a drink in the past few weeks, meaning I didn't even attempt to answer the ringing phone- especially now that I knew it wouldn't be Roger. And of course I never bothered reading whatever else The Sun had written, leaving my mind to ponder with the question of wether my mum was well or not.

The sudden loss of what seemed to be my favourite addiction left me empty. I felt almost everything anyone else would after some form of a break up, but this time it was worse. It was worse than when anyone else would leave, and I knew all too well why.

"What's going on ? You're not right. I know somethings happened." Mel whispered almost, hesitantly letting the words pass as I shrugged slightly.

"Nothing Mel... it's all good don't worry."

"I don't believe you... but I won't interrogate you." She paused, sipping her mug of far too light coffee as I decided to light a cigarette to soothe my craving. "So... just checking- it's a no on the Natalia Crown film right ?"

I blew out the cloud of grey, ignoring the tangling smoke as for the first time possibly ever, I considered the offer. I needed a distraction, clearly, something to pull my mind away from the blonde haired drummer that constantly occupied it, and maybe being in a movie would do the job.

I never wanted to be an actress, ever. But in that moment I thought it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I wouldn't exactly be filing for decades, it would be just enough time to get my mind away from the worst of itself.

"How small of a role is it ?"

"Not huge... two weeks filming in the states." She nodded slowly, sipping her coffee again as I let out a short sigh full of dark smoke.

Now I never thought I would answer Mel the way I did, and thinking back on it now I probably should never of said what I did. But Roger was controlling every thought my mind had... and I couldn't think of anything else.

"I'll do it." Mel's jaw dropped open, her eyes wide and coffee on the edge of being tipped over. "Only this once. That's it."

"Yeah there's definitely something wrong with you Jesus Christ..." she laughed almost. "You'll be filming in the states... you can either stay in a hotel or..."

"Or ?" I questioned, eyebrows knitted as she seemed to tense up. The other option was clearly one she was gonna take more hesitancy in when telling me about it, but she was never excited to tell me most things.

"Or... since filming is so close, and due to the circumstances, you could stay with your parents." Mel's eyes chose somewhat wisely not to meet mine as the words left her lips. Instead they focused on my hand stubbing out the dangerous stick into the ashtray sat full in the middle of her desk as I released the final grey cloud.