61- the end

4th March 2007

And if someone asked me the last thing I remember about the life I spent with Roger Taylor, the answer would be one simple.

His smirk.

The way he wore it effortlessly on almost every occasion. The way it intrigued me when I first took a glance at him in Charlie's bar in 1977. The way it begged me to discover why his lips wore such a smugness when his eyes pleaded with such an innocence. The way it complimented his features so perfectly even though the entirety of him seemed like a miss matched puzzle to me.

But he always held his lips in the position. When we first met, first danced together, first kissed, first made love, first fell in love, first reunited, first became 'friends', when he first reassured me, first told me he loved me, first won me back truly, first saved me, first time we found out we were having kids, first time we looked at our babies, first asked me to marry him, first married me, and when he woke up besides me every morning. When we lived our lives to the fullest we could, falling more in love with each other every day.

Our story had been wonderful. Truly.

Even in its beginning, when he first took me to Freddie's party, when we ate terrible Chinese food on the edge of a fountain, when we watched Aristocats together, when he told me he loved me, when we danced to imagine. It was still wonderful. It always had been.

His hand was in mine that day, holding it tightly, his eyes denying tears as I simply didn't let my eyes break from his. He brushed his thumb against my wedding ring, occasionally doing the same to my engagement ring, as if he was trying to bring back the moments they were apart of. I never wanted to let myself unlock from those precious baby blue doe eyes that I'd been in love with for thirty years. The most incredible, amazing, overwhelming thirty years of my life.

I laid alone in the bed, centre of the room as I was surrounded by those who loved me.

August, my amazing son, who'd grown up to be a guitarist, taught by his dad. He looked just like Roger. Blonde hair, blue eyes, a smug little smirk. He was too handsome for my liking, I always saw the trouble he'd get into with girls in the paper after he moved to life the best life he could in America. I was so proud of him.

Anastasia, my gorgeous daughter, who'd become one of the most talented actresses of the 21st century. She was exactly like my mum. Scarily like her. She took pride in her family, and lived up to her nanna's legacy. She was gorgeous. Roger's blue eyes, my dark hair, and my mums breathtaking smile. I was so proud of her too.

My grandson, Freddie, who'd Anastasia had named after her favourite uncle. He was seven. He was adorable. Roger had taught him how to play the drums, and he never stopped since. I think Ana wanted to kill him for it at one point.

Summer and Leo, who'd been two of the most amazing people in my life, possibly without even realising. Summer was the scrabble champion, having even beat Freddie and Brian, and Leo was the most kind soul. He treated Julian like absolute gold. Summer had married and had a baby, and Leo and Jules adopted the most gorgeous little girl, Lily.

Julian, who'd managed to drunkenly befriend me only a little short while after Roger did, but had managed to back an impact to my life that was just as meaningful as my husbands. I couldn't even find the right words to describe Jules. All I will say is that he's perfect. Absolutely perfect.

Connie, my dearest and most incredible friend, who'd been by my side my entire life. She'd done more for me that I could ever know. She'd saved me. I loved her too much. She meant absolutely everything to me. She'd found her true love, had four children, and had lived her life to its fullest.

And Roger. My Roger. My angel. My everything. My absolute everything. I don't need to sit her and talk about what he means to me. Because I'd never stop. He's my world. And he's always, always, been more than just a friend.

We'd had the best life together. Every second we spent with one another was incredible. Our story was everything... and more. I could never find enough time to describe it.

The only thing in my life I wanted was more time. That was all. I had everything I could ever dream of. But I just ran out of time.

"Adelynn..." Roger whispered, stroking my hair back gently, laying a weak kiss against my forehead. "We're gonna be okay..."

I smiled faintly, tears dropping slowly from my eyes as if they didn't have the strength to let go.

"You can let go, it's okay." He kissed me again, his hand squeezing mine as if he was begging to hold on to the life left within me.

Brian took Freddie out of the room, stepping outside as I felt Anastasia's and August's hand wrap around the one free of Roger's grasp.

"I love you mum." She smiled through tears, sniffling as Connie's arms fell around her.

"I'll miss you." August mumbled, barely being able to say what he wanted through the pain in his throat.

"We all love you Adelynn." Julian nodded, each of his arms around Leo and Summer as I simply pulled together the strength to smile.

"I love you." Roger reassured me, closing his eyes gently as I closed mine. I didn't want to turn the pages, because this time there wasn't another chapter. This was the end of the story.

But Roger kept his promise... and he loved me until my very last breath. And I loved him more than I ever did as I finally ran out of time.

-

Anastasia's POV

"Adelynn Taylor has died age 53 of lung cancer. She passed away this morning in the arms of her husband of twenty years, Roger Taylor, her two children, her grandson, and her closest friends. She had been battling the illness for several months, and had stayed strong for weeks. She was a true fighter, and she will always be one of the strongest women we have seen. She faced battles harder than some of us could ever imagine.

We will forever continue to honour Adelynn's legacy that she has blessed this world with, and we will never forget the true power, courage, beauty, bravery, elegance, courage, strength, and everything else Adelynn Taylor showed this world throughout her life.

May she rest easy, and may her heart always be remembered for the pureness it held.

Rest in peace Adelynn Mila Taylor."

We all watched the tv screen in the hospital as if we hadn't just watched her take her last breathe. She was really gone. We'd just been asked to leave her.

Who even asks that ? God it must kill those nurses every time. Telling a family to say their final goodbye to their mother as they watch their dad breakdown.

I'm empty without her. I think a part of me always will be. But I think the part of dad that's always gonna be empty is the one most hollow. I haven't let him leave my arms. August hasn't let Freddie leave his. It's weird, how we all told her we would be okay, even though all of us seem to be broken in two.

My mother was the best person in my life. She was brave. Strong. Gorgeous. Funny. Inspiring. I could list words to describe her for hours.

I would never ask for anything more. She was perfect. Absolutely perfect. So was our life with her. Every minute I spent with her was incredible.

I'll always miss you mum. But it's okay, we'll take care of dad. We'll make sure he doesn't stop doing what he loves. He will always love you. I remember when he told me and August the story of when he saw you again in a little coffee shop. It was beautiful. He told us the only day he'd been happier than that is the day he married you.

I think you'll find Roger Taylor will be in love Adelynn Petrov forever. Beyond this world, this universe. He'll love her in every possible way.

He was so happy with you mum. You're life together was perfect. It's what I hope to have one day.

Your story together was perfect.

The end