40- I love him sometimes

2nd December 1980

"Happy birthday !" Julian screamed almost, waking me up abruptly from the sleep I could almost label as decent, him, Connie and Summer stood with their arms bursting out dramatically as I groaned beneath the covers.

"Get up... you've got presents to open miss."  Connie giggled as she grabbed the covers, tossing them off of my body before I sat up and tiredly rubbed my eyes, a smile too bright at my lips as the three of them stood at the end of my bed with beaming smiles. "You really should never of given me that key."

"Yeah and good morning to you too." I laughed a little as I got out of bed, only stretching for a brief moment before Julian's hand yanked me and pulled me out the room, Connie and Summer giggling as they followed closely behind.

"Cmon... you've got packages downstairs that got left on the doorstep. Don't worry- we fed the cat." Connie added, watching as Julian gave me a glance with a subtle smugness hidden in it, my confusion growing as we reached the bottom of the stairs.

"Firstly... we're poor compared to you. And secondly, we did try." Julian handed me a bag, one larger than I expected and heavier than I anticipated before Summer pushed me down onto the sofa.

I ripped apart the bundles of tissue paper to find of course a bottle of vodka, a smile instantly taking to my lips before I rummaged a little deeper to find a square, thin box, and another gift large and flat sat upright.

"Open the big one first." Summer pointed at the present, biting her bottom lip as I tore the wrapping paper to find a picture of the four of us, all seeming to be tipsy and undeniably all bubbling with joy in the moment the camera clicked.

"That felt like ages ago... aw thank you." I smiled up at the three of them as they nodded, the anticipation clearly too strong as they waited for me to open the second gift. I placed the framed image gently besides me before I opened the box, gasping instantly at the necklace inside.

"Where'd you even get this ?" I scoffed almost, the disbelief too strong for me to process what was in the box. The necklace was one the exact same as one I had owned years ago, which my mum gave to me when I left home, and I lost it without ever being able to find it again. "I've looked everywhere to find one like this... fucking hell."

"I know my shit." Summer laughed. "Connie said you loved it."

"I did. It was my favourite thing to wear." I jumped up and gave all three of them a hug so tight I'm sure I almost squeezed them all to death as we all laughed. "Thank you."

"You're welcome." Julian smiled. "But I wanna know who's sent you these flowers."

I glanced behind me at the table sat closest to the door, noticing a bright yellow bunch of flowers springing with life. I walked over to them, glancing at the note to see it scribbled with Mel's handwriting. I smiled at the bunch of flowers, mentally noting down in my mind to give her a call before glancing at the bunch sat proudly besides them.

It was a dozen red roses, all springing with elegance as they stood tall, a small card attached to the ribbon holding them together. If I wasn't so tired, and still struggling to process the events of the morning, I would've been able to register who they were from a lot quicker, but it was the scrawled handwriting across the card's envelope that told me.

I opened it gently, being careful not to rip any edges, pulling out the card with a simple design on the front only to watch five rectangular slips of paper drop out onto the floor. I stood frozen for a moment, confused by the slips, looking at them and then at the three people stood with expressions just as curious.

I picked up the pile, turning the first slip over before gasping the loudest I think I'd ever gasped, which meant Summer, Julian and Connie all decided to take the opportunity to peer over my shoulder, only to find themselves in a shock just as loud.