35- don't try and charm me

31st October 1980

"You really are gonna go to his party dressed as a little black cat aren't you ?" Julian laughed over the phone as I glanced at my bundle of curls in the mirror and the headband sat on too of them, the phone balanced between my ear and shoulder.

I had of course agreed to the invite to Freddie's party, of course due to the fact I could never find myself saying the word no to Roger, which left me on the phone to Julian who now insisted on checking on my everyday after my split with Nathan.

He wasn't exactly impressed when I told him about what happened, and him and Connie sure made a big deal out of what had happened to my now healing hands. But i seemed to be able to swallow the bundle of emotions it caused, but only until I was on my own in the middle of the night in need of an excuse for a drink.

Mel had advised me on what to do to keep myself away from the press, which meant less work and more time at home with Toulouse or on the odd occasion having a drink or two with Roger. Although I had confessed, only to Connie and no other ears, how I did really feel about Roger, I didn't let him think that. I played my act as the ex who wasn't planning on forgiving him, who was slowly turning into the girl that was meant to be nothing more than just a friend.

"Yes I am. Would you turn down an invite to one of Freddie Mercury's parties ?"

"I would if I had cut up hands and a relationship I've still not properly buried. I know you like Roger, and I know it took you a while to shake off how you really felt too. Any small reminder of him would drive you mad. No one could even call you Lynn. It was clear to see you didn't get over him for a while, so don't get caught in that trap again."

"Since when did you become so protective? I'll be fine Julian I promise. And my hands are fine now. I'm going out to forget about Nathan, to have a good time with some old faces. And I'm not gonna fall for Roger again. Don't worry."

"Ok doll, just don't go putting your hands in any more broken glasses. Or sleeping with anyone you shouldn't. And don't forget to feed Toulouse enough to last him the night."

"I won't !" We both laughed maybe too loudly. "I'll see you soon."

I pressed the phone more gently than I usually would back into its holder, shaking my head as I walked through to the kitchen to fill Toulouse's bowl with far too much food for any cat, stroking him gently as he brushed against my leg.

I only petted him for a minute, remembering even though I could actually drive perfectly well and owned a fairly nice car, Roger was due to pick me up in a the same moment. I jumped up and grabbed my bag, including my keys, cigarettes and lighter before pausing in front of the mirror again to make sure I looked alright.

I was in a black dress maybe to skimpy for a Halloween party, a pair of fishnets underneath that were mostly covered by my knee high boots that complimented the jacket I wore to finish. I was supposed to be a cat. a poor attempt of a Halloween costume that I would tell people was last minute when they question how a headband with a pair of ears stuck on suddenly turned a slutty outfit and dark eye makeup into something supposedly 'scary'.

I didn't find myself distracted my own reflection for too much longer though, due purely to the familiar knock against the door that meant Roger was the opposite side of it. I took a quick breathe in a poor attempt to prepare myself, which of course never did work, saying a quick goodbye to the cat before pulling back the heavy door.

"Wow... I mean, Christ." Roger chuckled as his baby blue eyes continuously fell up and down my frame, acting as if they wouldn't get the chance to repeat the same motion that night. "You look fucking stunning."