Chapter 16

"I thought you said you'd bring my sister back." Luke says.

"I said I could try. I never meant it would actually work." I roll my eyes.

"So why stamp me, then? If my part of the deal isn't working, why should yours?" He asks.

"Because this was the only way to get you back!" I yell.

"Get me back? Why don't we try to get you back?! You're the one who has changed-"

"I've changed?! At least I don't betray my family for some girl!"

"I did that because I trusted her! And she was the only way we could be seen and even stay here!" He yells.

"So you chose her over your own family? You wouldn't even let me explain my side! You just assumed that I became insane all of a sudden!"

"You think I wanted to believe that? I had so much faith that you'd become yourself again! I thought you'd have the strength and realization to be you! But now, after everything that's happened, I was wrong!"

"Aww, boo hoo! We all were wrong about something, Luke. And we all lost something! Stop acting like you're the only one!"

"I know I'm not the only one. I mean, look at Reggie. He still has faith that you'll come back-"

"This is the last time I will say this! I am not Emma Patterson! I will never be Emma Patterson!"

"Well then where is she?!"

"She's gone!" I yell before looking down. "I'm sorry, but your sister is gone. And she's never coming back."

"I thought I could trust you..."

"You were wrong, then. I can't be trusted by anyone. Not anymore."

I walk over to my desk and start searching for something. As I look, I can see the tears in Luke's eyes. I ignore it and continue looking. I'm not going to see him like this anymore. I grab what I was looking for and hand it to him.

"What's this?"

"That's you and I, Luke. It was who we used to be, before the band started." I whisper.

"Wait- you mean-"

"This is the real me, Luke. I know I have changed. And I wish I could take it back. But... I had no choice."

"I'm sorry if I ever blamed you."

"It's not your fault. Not completely, at least. It was just... so sudden. And unexpected. I mean, seeing an innocent girl become the complete opposite of herself? That feels so impossible."

"I should have believed Reggie in the first place."

"With?"

"Knowing you weren't in control with this. He told me it was all Caleb's plan. But... I could believe it."

"So you just thought I became this way for no reason?"

"No! I- I thought you were still gone. I kept denying the fact that you were back. I-I guess I thought Caleb got rid of you for good."

"I'm still here, Luke. There's just a side of me that is taking control."

"I'm sorry. For being such a terrible brother."

"You were never a terrible brother, Luke. You just never let me tell you my side."

"I know, and now I see why I was wrong."

"Good. Because it's not going to be easy bringing her back."

"I see that now. But I'll do whatever it takes to help you out."

"Thanks."

"No, thank you. For helping me understand my sister more. And I'm glad I got to see your good side again."

"Me too. I'm glad you got to help me bring it back." He gives me a hug before walking out. I sigh and walk over to the mirror. I stop for a second and realize I forgot to tell him something.

"Luke, wait-" Before I could take a step, I got teleported to a different room.

"So... have you brought my band back yet?"

Great.

Just what I needed...