Chapter 29- Flour Power

There was an odd sense of serenity in that huge living room that would normally make you feel as if you were sinking a large body of water. It wasn't homey that room. Not the slightest bit. It always had a cold breeze and it never truly felt warm because all of the decorative furniture and marble everywhere. Although marble was indeed heat absorbent, this kind of marble didn't feel that way. I felt as if I were sitting in a museum and not a house. I thought back to Luke's room and how low key it was compared to the house. Not that his room wasn't fancy, but for a middle class person his room would pass as the most homey in the estate.

Once again defying the peace of the moment my mind drifted into places of the unknown. Well actually, quite known, just not for me. I didn't understand Sydney very much as it seemed. Normally huge estates like these tend to be surrounded by others. An area of mansions that was slightly gated in a weird way. But this neighborhood was awfully weird considering that a block away from one of the most intricate mansions stood simple townhouses. Granted, the house was rather secluded and surrounded by woods but nevertheless it stood alone. A few mansions followed but it was still a bit of riddle that my brain had to start.

But taking Melissa's advice, I breathed in and thought back into the moment of how normal it felt. It felt normal to be watching what grew to be my favorite show with a friend. Yes, I did see Luke as a friend. I didn't have many people in my life, and as it seemed, most of them were what any normal person would consider friends.

Luke had asked many questions since he still didn't quite get what was going on. It was amusing but I could tell he was a bit embarrassed by it.

"So he's bad." He confirmed pointing to one of the men.

"He is," I nodded.

"Well..define bad." I contradicted, my voice going higher a bit to emphasize my split opinion. Luke put his hand on his face in playful frustration.

"Peyton don't play Socrates, is he bad or not?" He uttered as I chuckled. I was impressed that he mentioned anything to do with a Philosopher but he didn't know that it made very little relevance since Socrates wasn't one of those philosophers. I held my tongue and just smiled at his reference.

"He wants to do what is right for the country but getting there isn't exactly right. So in his case, he is thinking about the outcome which isn't bad and not the people who he hurts in the meantime." I explained as Luke squinted his eyes. He got the point but he didn't at the same time.

"So he's bad."

"Is he?" I challenged.

"Of course he is. It doens't matter if the outcome is good, if people get hurt on the way there then the outcome can't be all that good can it?" Luke said having a firm hold on the dress pillow as he spoke.

"There you go Hemmings. Looks like you get it." I sighed paying attention to the screen. He hadn't said anything back and I took to my peripheral vision to see whether he was watching and he was looking at me. I was accustomed to pretending I was watching the show but I did witness something that confirmed that I was his friend. He smiled. He smiled for a few seconds and put his attention back on the screen.

"Has the seed been planted? Only Peter can answer that question. He has a choice; will he whither? Or will he thrive? Only time will tell." The last sentences of the fifth episode were said and I felt a shiver. Kevin Spacey really was an amazing actor, but there was something about the way he spoke in House of Cards, the way he looked into the camera that made me afraid. I knew he was of course acting, but I was still scared of that glare and the drop of his voice. I enjoyed that show for that very reason. It scared me. There was a sense of me living on a sort of edge as I watched it.