Chapter 37- Fright Night

"Why is she so over dramatic? It's just a paper." Tara's annoyance filled voice said as she walked beside me, complaining about Ms. Lance's view on her badly graded paper.

"You used the word 'very' seventeen times." I laughed as I clutched onto my book and phone.

Tara and I both walked to the lockers after English class and on our way to Art/Lit history.

"Well I was still exhausted from Bryan's Halloween party. I'm lucky to have gotten it done at all." She sighed.

"That was a week ago." I said.

"Doesn't matter. I was tired."

"You should have came, it really was fun." She mentioned quickly.

I remembered Tara begging me to come with her but I was in no mood. Before the terrible night itself, I already promised Ashton before she asked me. Either way, Halloween was prone to be a disaster either way. And that, it most certainly was. Halloween is cool for those people with great social lives, but my other only friend who spoke to me, was the opposite of social so there I was.

"Halloween never was my thing so...I also didn't want to impose I wasn't invited." I said, my eyes still planted on my phone.

"Whatever, up to you. So what did you end up doing?" She asked as we reached my locker. I sighed thinking of the terrible evening and skipped to the part that didn't want to make me punch a wall, and Maggie's face.

"I just watched a bunch of scary movies on Netflix." I said sounding even more as though I had nothing better to do.

She laughed.

"By yourself?" She almost wore a look of pity.

"No, I was at Luke's." I said closing my clocker prompting we go to her's.

"Oh," She started.

"You guys have been hanging out a lot the last month."

"Yeah, we're really good friends so..." I said, eyes still on the phone.

"I just don't, I..whatever. That's good for you." She smiled with a smile that all too fake. If anyone knew a fake smile it was me. I dreaded whatever was to come because I didn't want to hear it.

"What." I said looking straight at her giving her that mad but not mad look.

"Nothing."

I did it again.

"He's just very...distant. I can't imagine even having a conversation with him." She said.

"Well people are the way they are for a reason." I said harshly as we reached her locker and I half turned away. People's oblivion was sometimes laugh inducing. Although I was sure Tara had nothing to do with anything, she most likely knew about it and it is very easy to judge a person without understanding. People create a certain cause, they get the appropriate reaction and then have the nerve to judge and wonder why a person is the way they are after it.

I finally saw felt my phone buzz under my binder and I nearly jumped. Whether it was a startling fear or excitement I was unsure of but I looked at my phone with both in mind.

Text Message

From: Eric

The secret is out, you got me. ;)

We still on for tomorrow? x

End of Text

I smiled down at my phone trying not to start laughing in full. I sent Eric a picture of a man with similar hair like him wearing the kind of hats he always wears and when he takes the hat off, he is bald underneath and the locks of hair are attached to the hat. I thought it was funny since I only ever saw Eric in those hats and thought I could be humorous too.