Chapter 23- Examinations

Today was the day. As my feet took me to school, I had the slight feeling of nausea knowing what awaited me first period. Luke and I sat hours together learning every chapter and I hoped that it was enough. Maybe it was maybe it wasn't. But at least I knew that I tried.

If you thought about it, the school system in which most kids and young adults are pushed into, was complete idiocy. The right to education is something immensely important but to what extent? Everyone gets pushed into a massive shredder where only few bits make it out in piece. People get judged by the things they can't do, rather than those they can. Talents get completely ignored because if they are below average in English, then who cares if they are the next Picasso.
Imagine taking a group of animals, an elephant, a dog and a monkey. If you were to examine them, and give them a fair test to climb a tree, what animal would probably succeed? The monkey would be up in seconds and crowned the talented one. The dog does its best and makes it halfway but everyone ignores the fact that the dog can dig the best holes. Digging holes wasn't the test so he only did okay. Then there's the elephant that has no chance to make it up. Everyone would laugh and tell him he's lazy or that he just didn't prepare well enough, but in reality, it's not in his being to climb a stupid tree.
And that was how I felt. I felt like I was the elephant about to climb the tree.

In little time I was at school and I saw Ashton in the hallway. He knew that I had the test today and he grinned in a nervous way from the other end of the hall.

"What are you grinning at?" I jokingly snarled once I was next to him.

"Good luck, I know how hard you guys were studying." He said trying to be serious. Ashton was a rather good student and was considered average. But Ashton was one of those few that understood me. He was the dog and he knew what he could do.

"Thanks. I'll need it." I said accompanying him on the walk to class. I tried to stay calm and I thought I was winning the battle of nervousness.

He gave me a reassuring nod and pat on my shoulder as we stood in front of the class room. I ignored the hand on my shoulder, as I did most of the time, and sighed.

"I'm going in." I said and he laughed nodding.

"You'll do fine." He slightly yelled as I walked in and took a seat. I noticed that Luke hadn't yet arrived and I took the seat in the back like he usually did in hopes that he would take the seat next to me and I could cheat if need be. There was still five minutes until first period started and I told myself not to take a look at a single book or note, because I didn't want to fry my brain more than it was already.

The annoying sound took over the building as first period started. The teacher walked in with his stupid leather bag hung around his shoulder like some annoying European wannabe fashion hipster. I rolled my eyes at the mere sight of the horrid man, since he in his hand, had the paper that determined my pass or fail.

I was surprised that there were no consequences after my hostile actions from a few days back. He hadn't called my mother, and no staff from the school talked to me about it. I assumed that he just let it go and didn't really care, even though his reaction said otherwise. Maybe he had even forgotten.

"Good morning!" He chirped in his provocative accent. I loved the Australian accent, it was so warm and just so attractive, but I hated his. Probably because I hated him but that wasn't the point.

"Are you all nervous?" He laughed while getting the papers from his ugly bag. A few people answered his question but I sat quiet trying not to interact with him. I kept my eyes glued to the front door to see if Luke was going to come in, but during the time that the teacher talked to us and took attendance, he still hadn't showed.