Chapter 13- Highways

Sitting in the pristine Audi with the warm luxurious leather seat below me, I could only wear a look of confusion. I was once again sitting in Luke's car, and we were taking part in any type of activities together. With all of the weird things I encountered in my life, this was definitely one of the tops on my list. I wasn't going to patronize him about his sudden joy of life, but one might tend to find it weird. If I were to bet money, I'd say that it would be over as soon as his mom got back in town. I don't know why, but she somehow brought the worst out of him. Or maybe I really have no clue in the matter, it's just he is really the only one I can somewhat analyze since I see him all too often. My mother's words kept replaying in my mind from a month ago. Accept people. And that, I tried to do.

Despite his random shot of happiness, I remembered that we really aren't friends and that was very much seen, as silence took over the car. I leaned my elbow towards the window and just looked out. I had gotten used to sitting on the left side as a passenger. The sun was shining as usual and the ocean could be seen from the highway. I slightly smiled admiring the view. My smile did quickly fade into a neutral expression as I suddenly remembered my dream. It always felt so real and the irony hit, when I realized who was sitting next to me. It's a very weird sensation to try to describe, but it somehow took over me but I tried my best to ignore it. Like I usually do. Another part of me, also felt empty, because my mother wasn't with me. I knew that she was happy to see new places but I really needed her here with me.

"Please don't tell me you're going to cry again." Luke finally spoke, breaking the silence.

"What are you talking about?" I sassily asked.

He rolled his eyes in that way that I noticed he did. Its weird because he half smiles while slightly rolling his eyes. I never know how to interpret it; playfully or rudely.

"Your face." Luke cooed, looking straight ahead at the road.

"What's wrong with my face?" I asked, sounding slightly offended.

He then did that eye thing again.

"Be careful, your eyes are going to fall out soon." I then instigated.

"Ha-Ha." He sarcastically mumbled.

"Your face, looks like it's going to explode from sadness." Luke acknowledged, but still concentrating on the road. I quickly brought my hand to my face and touched it in a paranoid way. It took me a good five seconds to realize, that there wasn't anything aesthetically wrong with my face, and that gesture earned a laugh from Luke.

"You still haven't grasped the concept of a metaphor." I added smirking slightly. I tend to do that when I try to avoid awkward conversation, or conversation about my feelings.

"Hey! Last time I checked, you weren't my English teacher." He countered half smiling and turning his head to me.

I leaned my elbow back on the window and looked out once again. There was something very serene and calming about looking out of a moving car.

"How long of a car drive is it?" I asked noticing that we have been in the car for almost 15 minutes and the highway still looked rather infinite.

"It'll be another 15 minutes. Everything is so far apart in Sydney."

I didn't really feel like sitting in the car for another 15 minutes, but I was kind of hungry and looking forward to those cheese fries that Luke went on about.

But alas, after the several random rock songs and highway scenery, we reached the mall. It looked massive from the outside. Luke seemed to have locked his car with just brushing his hand on the door and that made me huff a little bit, since it was that high tech.