Chapter 11-Compliments

I was sitting on my couch and played with my phone while waiting for Maggie a few hours after getting home from school. This stupid game had started to take over every free second I had. I finally reached the level where I could travel to London, but my stupid manager wouldn't leave me alone even though I did 3 photo shoots already. Every few minutes I would look away from my phone and realize what I was wasting my time on. It would earn a light laugh from me, but regardless of its stupidity and level of shallowness this game had, I couldn't stop.

On my way home, my mom called me and told me that they landed in Perth. She sounded pretty happy and excited. I wasn't going to think up some stupid conspiracy theory, but I had this feeling in my gut, that my mother wasn't taken on these trips all for business or for helping Liz. These thoughts also implied that I didn't trust my mother and that I thought she was somewhat lying. Which I wasn't at all, but I don't know, something felt a bit strange.

After finally finishing that stupid beach photo shoot that took me eight hours to complete, I got up from the couch and stretched a little. As strange as the action was, I felt like I was sitting in the same position for an hour.

Finally, the bell to my door rang and I ran over to get it.

I wasn't exactly sure what to expect for tonight. I had to remind myself, that I was in fact, almost 18 and shouldn't be scared or even nervous of a sleepover.

Most girls, have sleepovers when they're in middle school or even a part of high school, and just goof around doing very girly things. I as usual, didn't have that possibility. Not that I really had any friends, but even any somewhat good acquainted people would never get invited, because I wasn't in the mood to have my drunk father stumbling around the house screaming for no reason. Back when I was in middle school, things were good considering what was to come. He was only an unemployed drunk who had a tendency to lose his temper quite often. Things really only went downhill from there.

I did that blinking thing again to shake off any thoughts of him or my nerves.

As I opened the door, Maggie stood outside of it with huge plastic bag in her hand and she shook it, while having it in her grasp.

"Hey Maggie." I said taking the bag from her hands and walking it into the kitchen. She walked in and closed the door behind her, following me into the kitchen.

"Hey hey." She said in a cheerful voice. Someone was in a very good mood.

While unpacking the large bag, I noticed how much food she had brought. There was an array of every possible snack to asian fruit.

"You didn't have to bring this much food." I told her. The weird feeling of awkwardness came in, because it almost seemed as if she bought so much because she felt bad for me in some way.

"Of course I did. Food is cool." She said stealing a grape and throwing it into her mouth playfully.

"Well you're in a good mood today." I laughed turning to her after finishing putting all the food away. There was a certain glow to Maggie that I couldn't understand. From the times we've seen each other, she was always bubbly, but something was different today.

"I guess I am."

"Mind elaborating?" I asked walking up the stairs.

"There's nothing to elaborate on Pey. It's a full moon tonight, and I always am extra energetic on a full moon." She said and I playfully rolled my eyes.

"The sun is still out." I laughed.

"The moon is always out Peyton..." She said acting as if she was informing me on the simple facts of second grade astronomy.