Chapter 6- The Glass Theory

In our lives, we tend to go through various things that may or may not, change our view on the world. Everyday, we bear that metaphorical glass that slowly gets filled with our own thoughts or physical tolerance of the situation or time. Every single thing that we experience, gets stored away in that glass. Usually, when referring to glass, we talk about the negative things that get accumulated over time. We always hear people say “Oh, I’ve had it up to here with this.” ‘Up to here’ meaning that all of the negative things that he or she has encountered, have piled up and are potentially overflowing from that glass. Now as you can imagine, every single person has a different glass. Some people have very large glasses, meaning that they can handle more than others can. Certain, or even many things, don’t bring them down, or, they just haven’t encountered enough to make that glass overflow. Others however, have a very small glass. Which can imply, that they may have short tempers, or just a low tolerance for whatever is thrown at them. 

In these situations, inner strength is tested. While everyone has a different size glass and different set life, we all must know and learn how to balance ourselves, according to the glass’ size. Find a way to keep that glass from overflowing. Something, that I thought I knew well. Through my life, I always thought that I understood the size and tolerance of my glass, and that I had full control over it. Every now and then, everything would rise to the top, making me show the slightest bit of emotion or lack of self control, but knowing myself and my glass, I was able to bring it back down. Even when I found myself crying and in a moment of sorrow, just a day ago, I was able to bring the contents of the glass down, and go on with my day.

Even though this supposed ‘Glass Theory’ seems to work, even those with the largest glasses, or best understanding of their glass, simply lose control. Because no matter how well we know ourselves, our brain finds a way to surprise us. That was the moment, that I truly understood the power of the human brain. That moment, when I lay unconscious underneath the very large staircase. In the moment, when everything went to black.

-

“What did you do?” I heard a muffled voice say.

“I didn’t do anything, I was in my room.” A guy’s voice said.

“Well she was with you before this happened.” 

“I said I don’t fucking know what happened.” The male voice snapped.

“Don’t you dare use that language with me. And I can smell the alcohol from here.” The woman said with disgust. 

My head felt like as if it weighed a ton. The muffled voices continued to talk and fight about something. I assumed it was me but I was still too confused to make sense out of anything. 

As my body started to come back to full consciousness, I felt someone hold my hand , maybe it was there the whole time, but I didn’t notice. I slowly allowed my eyes flutter open. My mother sat right above me and her hand was the one grasped with mine. I looked around and took in the familiar surroundings. I lay on the big bed and looked around to see multiple people in the room. I’m not going to lie when I say, I did feel a little bit overwhelmed. Once I regained full consciousness and understanding, I realized that I was in Luke’s room, and Luke’s bed. 

“Peyton!” My mother cheered and quickly embraced me in a hug. I rejected her embrace and pulled away from her grasp. As my much I loved my mother, I didn’t need any physical contact, not right now.

She wore a look of sadness and confusion on her face. Understandably so, her daughter just tumbled down a long flight of stairs and happened to pass out as well.