Chapter 16- Environments

"I know it wasn't easy for you to tell me some of the stuff you told me. You know I'm here to talk. Baby steps." Ashton reassuringly smiled before I got out of the car to go home.

After the milkshakes, Ashton took me into Sydney and showed me around. I guess after I admitted all of the things I did, he wanted to lighten the mood. I thought that the idea was very sweet and I loved the inner city. It was alive and fast paced, which makes one also feel alive and fast paced.

Environments tend to influence a person's mood and life set. It's not a wonder why they all say 'you're a product of your environment'. Humans are known to naturally have the instinct to adapt to their surroundings. Whether it be something physical like shedding or growing hair due to weather conditions, or putting a cigarette in your mouth because the cool bad boy leader did. What is around us, is how we end up being or feeling.

Being in a busy city gave me a feeling of being apart of something big, without actually being big. You can be alone on the street, yet never truly feel alone.

Although Atlanta is a massive city, with the hustle and liveliness, I hated it with a passion. We didn't exactly live in the nicest part and everything about the place made me wince.

"I really do appreciate it Ashton." I smiled and looked down awaking myself from my usual thoughts.

"I was actually surprised that you even talked to me on my first day. It's crazy how accepting you all are. I don't know if I would have been like that." I admitted. As harsh as it sounded, if we would rewind a month and a half, I would never even think to approach anyone. I wasn't looking for human interaction.

"I liked your shirt!" Ashton defended. I laughed as well, remembering the crop top.

"I'll see you tomorrow, be excited for my outfit." I humorously warned undoing the seat belt and opening the door.

"Trust me I am. Feel better!" Ashton called from inside the car once I got out. I waved to him from the front door of my house. Ashton pulled out of the driveway and drove away.

-

"That's great to hear!" My mother's happy tone expressed through the telephone. I was surprised to have her call finally. I was at lunch at school, when she finally decided to call. I figured that she was busy, so I didn't press her about it too much. Still being my mom, she asked me how I was doing and obviously wanted a whole run down of it. I told her pretty much everything, except the bad parts. It didn't matter that she was across the country, she would still find a way to worry and it wasn't necessary. She was beyond thrilled to know that I was doing so much with actual human people. She even asked if I was lying since my  social  calender seemed so full.

"I'm glad you're having a good time. It isn't too much work though is it?" I asked wanting to know. Since the first day Liz told be about this thing, I never really knew what my mom would even do at such events.

"Well I do accompany Liz to all of her meetings and file and organize the paperwork for it. I am quite tired but it's more than okay." The light sound of a sigh could be noticed as she obviously had a busy morning behind her. I decided that I wouldn't judge since she was obviously doing something.

"Okay, well I only have 10 minutes of lunch left so I'll talk to later?" I asked wanting to wrap up the conversation.

"Yes of course sweetie. Have a good day and have fun tonight. I'm proud of you for making such an effort." She praised. My smile grew listening to her words of encouragement. I really needed them and somehow she always knew what to say. Even if it wasn't all that big, coming from her meant a lot.

"Thank you. I will." I smiled into the phone. 

After ending the call with my mom, I set the phone down and smiled to myself again. I noticed that today was a day of smiling and I was fine with that.