Chapter 10-Warmth

Continuation of previous chapter:

Like this guy once told me, stay out of my shit.” I quickly said and lightly chuckled. I wasn’t even sure if I had meant in a mean way or if I was joking. Part of me, was actually joking. But the other part wasn’t, because he doesn’t get the right to be that angsty teenage boy who is scared of singing and I get to tell him my life story. Either way, Luke would learn that the world, or at least I, didn’t work that way.

“I was just asking.” Luke defended.

“Well don’t next time.” I barked and turned my heel. 

I assumed that Luke had then rolled his eyes, as usual, but my back was facing him as I was leaving the room.

“I assume you’ll be there on Thursday..” I quickly asked opening the door.

Luke turned his attention back to me, it seemed like he was stuck in some sort of thought.

“Uh, yeah..I’m going.” He answered and fidgeted with his hands.

“Alright..” I trailed off.

“Bye.” I shortly stated and left the room.

The walk down the long stairs was as usual and I blinked a few time in a row, as a way to block out the thought of the staircase. Every time I walk up and down it, I have to shake off the memory. 

At the bottom of the long and pristine steps, I noticed Liz wrapping up a phone call. She was on the phone quite a lot. She was also home a lot. Considering the fact that she was a busy and wealthy businesswoman, she sure was home early and a lot.

“Hi Peyton! Did the study hour go well?” She asked placing her phone on the small table by the stairs.

“Yes it did. We’re both learning quite a lot.” I smiled.

“That’s great to hear! I’m glad that it’s working out, you know it would have been such a shame, since you both are so talented.” She went on.

“Oh right! I was meaning to talk to you about something..” Liz started to say.

I stated a simple ‘mhm’ as a sign to continue.

“I just started a business deal with this huge company that is based in 5 cities in Australia, including Sydney,” She said.

“They want me to fly out to all those cities within a month or month and a half to close the deal. And I will be needing help on the trip, so I was going to ask your mother to join me. We have to fly out to Perth very short notice on Tuesday. The rest will be more spread out but the people in Perth want us there this week.” She explained.

The idea seems so strange to me. I wasn’t going to start arguing with Liz, but surely she had other business associates that would be more fitting to join her. I don’t exactly understand why she would need my mother to come.

“Have you already told my mother about this?” I asked normally and calmly, on contrary to my thoughts.

“Yes today, she understands and is more than happy to come along.” She sang.

“Aha. Okay, so do I still come in every day?” I asked. I was scared that I came off a little too forward, but I wanted to know. 

“Yes of course! You don’t have to stay as long, but your help would still be appreciated.” Liz tucked a long blonde strand behind her ear and fidgeted with some papers on the counter.

“Here are all of the dates that we will be away. I know that the first trip is tomorrow and for that, I am sorry. But it needs to be done. Your mother will of course get double the pay for these trips.”