Chapter 2- Rudiment

*1 Month Later*

I lay underneath the warm and enveloping blanket as I felt the warm Australian sun rise. Given my previous living circumstances, sleep wasn't a long nor cherished thing. It was late nights and early mornings. I guess old habits die hard. I sat up and looked around my small new room and forced a smile onto my face. After we got onto that airplane a month ago, I felt my life suddenly change. Even though we were homeless, jobless and practically moneyless, just sitting in that seat knowing we were going somewhere far away from Atlanta, from him, was enough.

My mother explained everything to me. From day one, to that moment. She shed many tears telling me gruesome details and I kept my ears open. After finding out the truth, I couldn't be mad at her. Her face wore a look of sorrow and despair, especially when she mentioned me. I knew that her biggest regret was giving and putting me into the life I had to live in. The whole reason why she brought us here, is for me. She didn't say it, and she doesn't have to. I know that if I wasn't around, she wouldn't do what she did that night. Another thing that she told me on the plane, was that she promised a normal life for me. She promised, that the second we land in Sydney, she would find a job, a place to live and most importantly a school for me.

When we first got here, we stayed at a hotel in northern Sydney for about two weeks. My mother looked for places and jobs but she didn't really find anything. She made a friend at the hotel, the concierge actually, and he said that there was a family in western Sydney looking for a housekeeper. I was quite shocked when my mother immediately asked for the woman's number. After doing a bit of research (and gossip for Herbert the concierge) we found out that it was probably the richest family in Sydney. It was a husband wife company that ruled every stock company in New South Wales. One thing led to another and she met with her to discuss times and when she would start. The lady said that we should move out to western Sydney, she even helped find a place. So here we are. The small place is cute but homey and both of us get a room, with even a spare room for guests. I don't possibly know who we could invite, since we don't know anyone, but its still cool to have. The moving process only took two weeks and somehow it worked perfectly with school because the kids here have a two week break in July. I guess that made today a first for both of us.

Today was my first day at an Australian school, and it was my moms first day at work. My mother asked me to help with the job, and informed the lady that I would also be helping. After the risks that my mother took, its the least I can do. I heard a quiet knock on my door and shouted that my mother should come in.

"Oh good you're awake. Are you nervous for today?" She said sitting down on the bed next to me.

"Not really. Nothing can be worse than before. The people here seem pretty nice so, I'll be fine. Don't worry about me." I said giving her a reassuring smile.

"Of course I'm going to worry about you. Its a new school, and new system! A lot to get used to." She rambled on, trying to be that conventional normal mother.

As appreciative as I was, she needed to understand that feelings and memories don't go away in a month.

"Mom, I'll take getting used to whatever school system, than before, you know that." I looked down. I hated bringing this up, let alone thinking about it. It was so hard for me to forget. To forget his betrayal. I can't get the horrifying image of his body on the ground out of my head and of the ocean of tears that have left my eyes. It was still too fresh and I was just trying to cope with it.

"I know." She said in barely a whisper.

"You are such a strong girl. And so beautiful." She said again stroking my long light brown hair.

"Thank you. For this. For everything. Because of your strength, we live in this beautiful place and it looks like life is really going to turn around for us." I smiled at her.