08

SU-BIN inhaled a deep sigh and exhaled all her worries

SU-BIN inhaled a deep sigh and exhaled all her worries. With a smile on her face, she walked away from the bus stop and followed the grey pavement towards the house.

The place was quiet, the sun scorching and there were only small buildings here and there. The bright green grass was everywhere, growing through the crevasse of the pavement and everywhere on the left side of the pavement.

The ride side was where the road was situated. Barely any cars drive on it. 

Birds whistled through the quiet morning as Su-bin turned left, walking a bit further (the path stopped; with a crosswalk in front) and stopped to see a small house on the left side of the path.

Vines and moss were growing all over the place, the grass long with weeds and flowers scattered all over the place. The house was made out of dark oak wood, the roof was curved rather than looking like a triangle.

Su-bin walked towards the house, knocking on the door. She waited for the door to open but, to no avail the door didn't open.

The girl patiently knocked again but, no one answered. Sighing, Su-bin walked around the house, to the right and towards a small, creaky old brown gate.

She place her handbag on the grassy ground on the other side of the gate and jumped over. Slipping her bag over her shoulder, Su-bin walked on the gravel into the backyard of the house. 

She spotted a shed and walk towards it. There was absolute silence, the beautiful sound of crickets playing in the background and the soft wind brushing through the delicate leaves of trees.

With the sun shining down with its bright rays, the scenery serenaded Su-bin into tranquillity. She felt calm and as she opened the door to the shed, she frowned at the cramped, dark room.

"Dad?" Su-bin called out.

As her voice echoed through the small place, the girl detected movement from the back of the room. Entering the shed, Su-bin saw her dad's head peek from behind a large filing cabinet.

"Su-bin?" Her dad questioned, walking towards the entrance.

"Hey, dad," Su-bin said softly 

"Snowflake what are you doing here?" Her father asked.

His eyes raked over his daughter's figure, tears appearing at the corner of his eyes. 

"I came to see how you were doing," Su-bin answered, placing her bag down on the crowded, wooden plank desk.

"Ah. Well, I'm doing good." Hyeon-U (the dad) awkwardly chuckled.

Su-bin gave a light smile and looked at the many empty packets on the table. The stare made Hyeon-U conscious, becoming embarrassed at his makeshift office's state.

"I see you've been eating packaged food again," Su-bin said, looking back at him.

"Yeah..." Hyeon-U mumbled.

"Well, I've brought you fresh food. It'll only last you two weeks though." Su-bin explained.

The aura around them was awkward, silence filling after their little conversations. Hyeon-U smelled the fresh, delicious aroma.

He immediately looked inside the bag and smiled at the appetising-looking food. 

"Did you cook them?" He asked.

Su-bin nodded making the man's smile brighter- the exact bright smile that the girl had.

"As expected, my daughter cooks the best food!" Hyeon-U exclaimed.

Lightly laughing, Su-bin took the food out and glanced back at her dad.

"Are you still working on that case?" She asked.

Hyeon-U shook his head, "No, I've successfully cracked that one. I'm now on a new case."

"Oh... how long have you been on this new one?" Su-bin questioned, placing the containers into the freezer.

Hyeon-U hummed while in thought- the same way Su-bin hummed, "Two months? God, I've been trying to find a lead but, the higher-ups haven't been giving me anything."

Su-bin frowned a little, "Dad, make sure you go outside and get some fresh air okay? Also, take a break once in a while too."

The way she sounded so responsible made Hyeon-U feel very proud, ruffling the girl's hair, he nodded.

"Alright, I'll make sure to step out once in a while."

"And! Make sure you eat good food- not just these packaged foods. It's bad for you." Su-bin worriedly said.

"Yes snowflake... are you still working for those people from that stupid entertainment company," Hyeon-U asked, hatred coaxing over the mention of Hee-young's parents.

Su-bin sighed, "They're not stupid and yes, I am still working for them."

Hyeon-U looked at Su-bin with worry, "Snowflake, I want you to stop working for them. I told you, I can get another job and pay for your uni fees."

"No dad, I'm fine. I told you I don't want you overexerting yourself." The girl said with concern.

The man chuckled, "You really do have my attitude."

He reminisced back to the days when the girl used to be a small child. Su-bin went ahead to say something but, she was interrupted by the growing headache she had.

Holding her head with her right hand, Hyeon-U widened his eyes with panic.

"Are you okay?! Do want any medicine?" He asked, placing his hand on Su-bin's forehead.

"I'll be okay," Su-bin said.

Holding her hand, Hyeon-U saw a new letter appearing on the girl's wrist. A 'J' had stuck onto the wrist making the man gasp.

"You... you got your soulmate?!" He exclaimed.

Su-bin nodded, "But, I don't know who it is."

In a quick second, her father's face became pale. He internally cursed at the bond they all had to live with. 

"Don't worry snowflake, we'll find him okay? When did you get the first letter?" Hyeon-U worriedly hugged his daughter.

"Dad, I'm really fine."

father-daughter moment 🥺