17

Dang we're on 700+ reads now?

THE two sat at a table in a cafe- waiting for their orders

THE two sat at a table in a cafe- waiting for their orders. Su-bin looked at Renjun in front of her and knew one thing about him.

He was unsociable. She looked at his demeanour, it was sort of broody- his eyebrows always furrowed as if he was angry and his eyes would never look up at the girl.

His eyes were always staring at his phone but his ears were alert, listening to everything. Su-bin could always see how Renjun's head would slightly perk up at one stray sound that would go by.

She could tell that the boy was always on some sort of lookout.

"So..." Su-bin started.

"Why are you studying Criminal studies?" She asked.

Renjun glanced at the girl, "It's... interesting- I'm thinking about being a detective."

'By bringing the right subjects- I can get more intel.' Renjun thought, typing away on his phone. 

Su-bin's eyes widened and a slight frown appeared on her lips.

"That's pretty cool. Actually, my dad's a detective." Su-bin said with slight bleakness.

"Really? That's amazing." Renjun said, looking at Su-bin.

There was full concentration in his eyes, from analyzing the girl's expression to thinking about how to ask for the man's location.

"You know, a piece of advice- of course, I'm not trying to stop you but, it's dangerous. My dad gets in so many types of danger. Not to mention that it's on purpose. The department sends him on so many risky missions." Su-bin said, her eyes coated with somberness.

"Well, many jobs are dangerous," Renjun interjected.

Su-bin nodded in agreement, "I know but- I'm worried. I don't want him to die because he's always caught up with mafias, gangs and genocide or mass killing cases! I wouldn't be surprised if someone is after him."

"It depends where he is," Renjun said, looking at Su-bin's expression.

"He isn't around here so, that's good but..." Su-bin sighed, fidgeting with a strand of her hair.

"I don't want him to be a detective anymore." She whispers- barely audible to the boy.

Renjun was about to ask the girl about his location but was interrupted by their food being delivered.

"Here's your order! Have a nice day." The waiter said and left.

Su-bin snapped out of her gloomy state and drank her drink.

"Okay, enough of that! Do you have any family?" Su-bin asked.

Renjun groaned internally. 'I was so close.'

"I have a sister." He answered.

"Aw, cute!" Su-bin said.

"Not really- she's a pain," Renjun muttered.

"But, it must be nice to have someone beside you," Su-bin said.

Renjun shrugged his shoulders, "I guess."

As they both ate their food, a message popped up on Renjun's phone. Looking at it- it was Chenle again.

dolphinlele 🐬
hello? do you have any intel?

injun
he isn't here. the girl said it herself.

dolphinlele 🐬
what? then where could he be?

injun
not sure.

injun
I'm still talking to her.

dolphinlele 🐬
okay.

dolphinlele 🐬
tell me if you find out. Okay?

Su-bin watched intently at the boy. Renjun sighed and then placed his phone down.

'He's stressed.' She thought while taking another sip of her matcha tea.

"Do you usually text your friends?" Su-bin asked.

Renjun looked at the girl, "Oh- uh... yeah."

Nodding the girl took another sip, "Are they not around here?"

"No," Renjun answered.

"That must be sad," Su-bin said with a pout.

Renjun shrugged his shoulders, "Not really."

"But, they must miss you." Su-bin pointed out.

Renjun hummed in thought, the warmth of the cafe settled within him. A sense of comfort resided within him as he fiddled with his phone.

A weird sensation filled him as he looked at the girl in front of him. He was sure that all this was for his mission but some part of him felt slightly confused.

Glancing at Su-bin who was scrolling mindlessly on her phone, Renjun furrowed his eyebrows with endless questions in his mind. A sense of hesitation pulled forward as he tried to gain more information on who he thought would just be a mere person.

"By the way, where is your dad?"