─── ∙ ⋆★ 𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙇𝙑𝙄𝙄

CHAPTER FIFTY-SEVEN

( BREAKING THE SEAL )

════ ⋆✪⋆ ════

HER APPETITE WAS lost as she continued to look at the picture on the computer in front of her. The body of the woman was mutilated beyond recognition. Her torso had been ripped from underneath her belly button all the way up to her chest, where she could see fragments of her ribs were missing, along with the lower part of her jaw.

Although the picture was in sepia, she could still imagine the maroon color of the blood surrounding the wounds, still see the white of the bones in her arms that had been gnawed off by animals, and see the deep brown dirt covering her eyes and parts of her body. She had been assigned to look over cold cases with Anthony earlier this month to help with the missing persons case that they had been working on.

Director Muller stated that looking over old cases may be beneficial to their case, however, she viewed it as a scare tactic or at least a way to help her become immune to the horrors that most agents talked about seeing on a regular daily basis. So far none of the crime scenes that they investigated had signs of mutilation or torture. This was to keep her from getting soft with her case. She placed her cold breakfast sandwich beside her, her stomach threatening to gurgle up something she couldn't hold back if she continued to eat and stare at the body that belonged to Jane Doe in Alaska.

They undoubtedly pegged her to be a part of the Butcher Baker murders in Alaska, however, there wasn't enough evidence to prove it, and Robert - the infamous Butcher Baker - couldn't or wouldn't identify her as one of his kills. She closed out of the tab of the file, placing a large cross with her pen through the name on the yellow legal pad paper.

Her eyes flickered across the way to Anthony, who was humming the distinct melody of "Don't Want To Miss A Thing" while sipping on the to-go coffee cup promptly labeled "Baby's Diner". The not-so-quick stop had forced her to get up early in the morning to grab the coffee for him as a token of missing work on Monday. She couldn't hold it above him for wanting a crappy cup of coffee that was all the way in Hell's Kitchen while she was off galavanting in Brooklyn for most of the day Monday.

Today had been surprisingly quiet for the both of them. She felt like a loose ball of nerves, watching the clock tick closer to noon and closer to the time that she had to meet up with January at the fancy sushi place. To her, it was a mystery as to why her partner was so quiet. Aside from the few words of "I'll be back" as they each raised from their desk to use the restroom occasionally, they hadn't said a single word to each other. For him to be this quiet, something had to be weighing in on his mind.

She couldn't help but think of the discussion she had earlier this week with Steve. He had warned her about meddling with Anthony's problems, stating it would do more harm than good and using Blair's escape plan as an example. The realization left a sour taste in her mouth, but she did have to agree with him. Her constant urge to mother and protect and to make everything right usually got in the way of her relationships with people.