─── ∙ ⋆★ 𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙓𝙓𝙄

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

( MADDOX GOES MAD )

════ ⋆✪⋆ ════

   "SERIOUSLY?" JO'S VOICE is loud enough to wake Quinn up from her deep sleep. There's a crick in her neck as she raises up from the couch where her head had been laying awkwardly. It takes her a moment to get her bearings as she opens her eyes, everything seems to be in a haze, but she notices the familiar shape of Steve's body also stretched across the couch at the opposite end. 

   "I'm going to start asking you for rent every time you sleepover," Jo threatens the super soldier who just groans in response as an apology. He must've fallen asleep during the movie from last night as well. Jo narrows her eyes at Quinn, who notices this and tries to bury her face with a throw pillow to avoid her. 

   "And you," Jo begins, stomping over to her side of the couch. "Do you have any idea what time it is?"

   "Enlighten me," Quinn's muffled voice challenges from underneath the pillow, causing Jo to furrow her brows in frustration. "It's seven, you're late for your jog,"

   "I don't think I'm going-" Quinn begins to excuse herself but Steve quickly pipes in, his voice is gruff from the early morning. "Is this the group you run with every morning?" he questions, causing her to take the pillow off her face and look towards him. 

   He looks tired, his blonde hair was messy in the back from where his head was resting, his arms were across his chest. She didn't know where this was going and she didn't know if she'd like it. "Yes," she begrudgingly admits before Jo pipes in.

   "Is that the one that your date from last night is in?" he clarifies. She narrows her eyes towards him, wondering what he was getting at. Was he going to try to make her go? "Yes but I don't think I'm going to - "

   "You should," he insists, stretching his arms above his head as he slides his legs off the side of the couch, planting his feet firmly beneath him. "Because I'm going," he states in a matter-of-fact tone. 

   This causes Jo to perk a brow up in question at the declaration, then her eyes fall upon Quinn who's face is more shocked than hers. "Quinn," Jo calls for her attention, tearing her eyes away from the Avenger to look up at her. "What happened?"

   Quinn nervously bites down on her bottom lip as she tries to think of a good way to explain what Maddox had done. Jo will inevitably feel disappointed that she wasn't the first to know about Maddox, that Steve was the first to know and the one who rescued her from him. 

   "Maddox didn't get what he wanted. Well, first he showed up forty-five minutes late which is why I contacted Steve - I knew you were with Josh and I didn't want to ruin your time with him," Quinn quickly tries to explain, watching Jo's face fill with frustration at first before it dissipates. "But then Maddox wanted more than what I did, he got huffy, and I'm lucky Steve was there when he was because I don't want to know what would have happened if he didn't," she says, looking at Steve and giving him a soft smile which he returns. It's enough to cause her heart rate to pick up.