─── ∙ ⋆★ 𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙓

CHAPTER TEN

( THE SET UP )

════ ⋆✪⋆ ════

   THE AIR WAS muggy in the spring morning at the  Washington Monument, although the sun seemed to be failing to come out. The dark purple clouds from the dawn seemed to be blocking most of the morning rays. The ground is damp from a previous thunderstorm from the night before, causing the sneakers that anyone wore to squeak with each step. 

   Today seemed to be the first time in a while that Quinn actually struggled with keeping to the front of the group as they jogged through the park. It must've been the humidity in the air that made her feel like she was choking with each breath, however, she still continued to jog. She looked back to see Jo red in the face once again, taking up the rear of the group. Instead of racing to keep up with Maddox at the front of the group, she lagged behind, running the same pace as Jo as she started to huff and puff. 

   It had been almost a week since she had accidentally punched her date - Josh - in the face; usually the guy she was seeing would have given up on her now but instead, Josh has been hanging around all week. She, of course, had to tell him the obvious lie, about she's an I.T. for a law firm but she can't tell him whereas she'd be breaching her contract. Which was true, she would be - even though she works for S.H.I.E.L.D. instead. 

   As they came to their scheduled break her eyes scanned the area around the monument as Jo places her hands on her knees catching her breath. Quinn was looking for someone - Steve. She hadn't seen him since the day he left at the hangar, she hadn't seen Agent Barton around as well, she began to start worrying that something had gone wrong on their mission. She didn't know exactly what it was but he left abruptly, fast, and with Agent Barton - another member of the Avengers, she could only assume it was something dangerous. 

   Her heart begins to sink as she sees no sign of her friend, sitting down in the damp grass, not caring if her rear was getting damp from the leftover due on the grass. Jo joins her, sitting relatively close, still gasping for air as she waves a hand in front of herself, trying to cool down. "It's dreadful out," she gasps as she clenches her chest to breathe. The muggy air was seeming to suffocate nearly everyone today.

   Quinn hums in response. "I have to keep looking good for Josh, I really think I have a connection with him," she states, her voice sounding tender. Quinn plays with her shoelaces as she listens to Jo talk about Josh. "You really think so?" she questions her friend. "Even after I knocked him out-"

   "He forgave you for that," Jo points out nudging her shoulder, causing Quinn to roll her eyes. She remembers, she just doesn't know why. Jo wistfully looks out over the reflective pool a small smile playing on her lips as she stares out at the water. 

   She was smitten over her new boy-toy. This concerned Quinn, she wasn't ready to see Jo's heart get broken once again. She had seen it many time before. She's cautious about the newcomer. If Jo had her heart broken once again, she may break for good. That couldn't happen. She couldn't lose her like that.