─── ∙ ⋆★ 𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙇𝙓𝙄

CHAPTER SIXTY-ONE

( TIT FOR TAT )

════ ⋆✪⋆ ════

THE NEWS IS one of the last things she wants to watch, but as she crunches absently on the golden grahams in her bowl she can't seem to find anything else that sparks her interest. Not even mind-numbing reality TV shows could let her escape from the disaster in Nigeria. Smoke billows from wrecked buildings and images of Hulk and Iron Man throwing each other around like ragdolls buzzed all over the media. Their favorite words were "menace", "terrorizing", and "horrific". Some outlets were even calling them terrorists. She knew they weren't, but the damage had already been done.

What the media didn't realize was that there was a far worse villain lurking in the shadows. A villain that the "terrorists" were trying to destroy. Her mind couldn't focus on anything else but Steve's safety. He was okay from what she knew, however, he wasn't done with his mission, he was still after the destruct-o-bot dubbed Ultron. If only the media knew of the real threat that was going on, that there was a lifeform trying to destroy the world, then perhaps Steve wouldn't be called a terrorist; he'd be called a hero along with the others trying to stop Ultron.

It was for the best that the media didn't truly know the reason the Avengers were in South Africa. If the whole world knew there was something threatening it and their heroes were failing to stop it, there'd be chaos on the streets. Milk seeped from the corner of her mouth, causing her to cough in the realization that she was still shoveling cereal in her mouth. This was her second bowl, and Rudolph couldn't pass up the opportunity to plop himself on the couch next to her and lap up the drizzle of dairy that ran down to her chin. She pushed him off of her, telling him to stop half-heartedly as she continued to take in the information from the News.

The casualty count was starting to pile up in Johannesburg. It was looking grim for the team. She wondered what exactly made Bruce turn so suddenly, Steve had mentioned something about mind tricks by a woman - one who was helping the actual threat. Not only was Bruce infected by the woman, but Steve was as well. What could lay guilty on his conscience that would make him feel as broken as he sounded on the phone? Her knitted brow caught the attention of her roommate, who had sauntered into the room with her jacket on and purse in her hand. Usually, when her brow was knotted it meant the gears were turning in her head to Robin. Which meant she was overthinking something.

She placed a hand on the blonde's shoulder, causing her to jump at the sudden touch. A flash of confusion and fear appeared in her eyes but quickly settled once she caught the concerned gaze of her roommate. Not only had Steve's situation wound her up, but the stakeout she had been on yesterday; the threat that the Mancini's had made to her, had her nerves on edge. "I'm going to the store to pick up some ground beef. Do you want to come with?" Robin offered, hoping she'd say yes to take her mind off of what was happening with Steve. It didn't take a rocket scientist to see that she was worried for her lover.