─── ∙ ⋆★ 𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙓𝙓

CHAPTER TWENTY

( GET LOST )

════ ⋆✪⋆ ════

════ ⋆✪⋆ ════

   THE SLOW AMBIENT music of the restaurant didn't seem to steady her nerves as much as she wanted them to. Her foot taps nervously against the ground under the cloth tabletop, as she looks towards her phone at the time.

   Her heart begins to sink in her chest as she realizes that Maddox is twenty minutes late to their date. He hadn't sent her a single text or even bothered to call her. She had never been stood up before.

   Her fingers absentmindedly start to play with the smooth fabric of her peach-colored dress that Jo has picked out for her, insisting that it fit nicely with her waistline.

   She shoves another piece of oil-soaked bread in her mouth as the server came over to the table to place more water in her glass. She had only ordered one glass of white wine but she was ready for hard alcohol if Maddox wasn't going to show.

   Especially with how busy this restaurant was at the moment. She could see people waiting to sit down in the lobby. She made sure to avert her gaze as soon as an older man made eye contact with her from the waiting area, she was sure the glare wasn't meant for her and that it was out of hunger.

   She checks her phone once again out of habit to see if Maddox had contacted her at all. Nothing. Just a text from Jo telling her to be patient. As she clicks on the messages app on her phone she notices that she hadn't texted Steve in a couple of days, to be fair, she hadn't really spoken to him since he watched Forrest Gump at the loft.

   It happened to be the night she realized she had feelings for him starting to pinprick their way out. She couldn't have feelings for him. She made a promise to her mother.

   Maddox was different, he was a cocky guy, with a normal job, and a nice face. There was no target on his head, unlike Steve. No threat of danger for her or those closest to her if she went on dates with Maddox.

   Although, that's what it seemed she was training for, the inevitability of getting attacked as people recognized her to be with Steve (as friends). She knew Steve had plenty of friends, did they all have the same training as she did or were they all just agents and didn't need it?

   She picks at the bread once again as her heart begins to sink lower and lower into her chest. Maddox was now thirty minutes late.

   As she picks up her phone her fingers don't go to Jo as she'd like, they automatically go to Steve's name and press of the messages. The last one she had sent was a couple of days ago letting him know she had a date and couldn't have him over for lessons.