─── ∙ ⋆★ 𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙓𝙄

CHAPTER ELEVEN

( BLACKBIRD )

════ ⋆✪⋆ ════

════ ⋆✪⋆ ════

A YAWN ESCAPES from Quinn's lips as she squints through hued glasses that rest on her nose at the glowing computer screen on her desk. The coding to the new update hadn't been hacked yet, but Edith had explained to them earlier in the day that people were constantly trying to crack it. No one asked why people wanted to get into their database; everyone had different reasons. Some people wanted to know the truth, wanted to get it out into the open and expose their deepest secrets - secrets that even she didn't know about.

Others were just bored and wanted to accomplish something, much like when news got around that Tony Stark had hacked into the pentagons system, he didn't do anything all he did was get a slap on the wrist. He just wanted to accomplish it and say that he actually did it. If only she had the guts to do something like that.

She'd know where Steve was with Agent Barton, and she'd know if there had been casualties on the mission and if they were part of the casualty list. Steve and Agent Barton have been gone for nearly a week and a half, she wasn't provided with information on how the mission was going - she wasn't an agent, she didn't have access to that.

She had become numb to the situation, it wasn't as if she had known Steve for very long. But he was right about them becoming fast friends. She would often go back and recount the night that she had taught him about the moon landing, how she had been so closed off to him. She felt guilty for snapping at him for asking her personal business but at the same time, she couldn't risk letting people know about it.

Her mother was her weakness and if anything happened to her because she blabbed something to the wrong person she'd feel accountable for it. She already felt guilty about what had happened to her brother, and her father. She sniffled at she continued to type in the pattern of the code, she hadn't realized she had begun tearing up as she thought of them. She couldn't help it, she had missed them so much.

Her hands instinctively raised her glasses up and placed them on her head as she rubbed her eyes out of exhaustion and to wipe away what would eventually be tears. Even if no one was there she couldn't break down at her work, she needed to get the code done or at least mostly completed. She was just over halfway done with it.

Her head shakes as she tries to snap out of her sleep deprived state. She always felt sorrow when she was tired. Her fingers ran along the edges of the leather jacket that Steve had given to her as 'incentive to return', pulling it tighter amongst her body as she feels a chill run through her.

She rolls her eyes as she remembers him stating that he'd be back for the jacket, she had hoped it would've been sooner - if not at all. At least she had a memento of him in case they were informed that the mission had been a failure. She couldn't think about that now, she had to go home eventually. It was twenty-three hundred and she had been up at five.