─── ∙ ⋆★ 𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙓𝙓𝙑

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

( ROGUE ONE )

════ ⋆✪⋆ ════

════ ⋆✪⋆ ════

"CAN I HAVE everyone's attention, please?" Edith's voice beckons everyone's attention up at her all at once. The department was slow today, Quinn had just begun working on the last bit of code for her part of the new firewall for the update that was about to go live in the next couple of days or so.

Usually, they'd know what to call updates so they wouldn't get confused, however, Edith strictly said there was no name for this one yet and it would get its name once it had been released.

Something felt strange about it, but it's not like anyone would question her. Anyone who did would get humiliated, no one was in the mood for that.

Quinn tosses Dustin a confused look who does the same to her and then turn his attention towards Edith, who stood up on a chair. Something about the sight was off-putting to her. This wasn't usual Edith behavior, something was up.

It takes a moment for Edith to find the correct words as all eyes have turned towards her. It looks like she had been crying as she sniffles out an attempt to speak, Quinn's face grows concerned as she looks all over the office at the many faces who also wore the same expression, Dustin, Kara, Jack - everyone. "It is with a heavy heart," Edith begins with a sniffle that turns into a blatant sob.

Quinn's nerves are on fire with anticipation. Her eyes widen with worry. Was this about Steve? Did something happen to him? She had just spoken to him last night.

Anxiety floods her veins as she watches Edith sob. Quinn turns to look at her phone. No new texts from Steve nor Blair, Natasha or Clint, the three closest people to Steve.

Someone would have told her, even if none of them did Fury would've sent Agent Hill or someone to tell her. Yet she couldn't shake the thought of something bad happening to him.

Edith finally is able to compose herself in front of her department, apologizing for how she must look right now, earning a murmur in inquisitive questions. "It is with a heavy heart, that I must inform you, that Director Fury has been proclaimed dead by an assassination attempt," Edith informs the department.

Quinn's head absentmindedly tilts to the side in question. Fury was the most paranoid and vigilant individual she knew, yet somehow he gets assassinated. It didn't quite make sense to her. Quinn's mind quickly runs to Steve, she wanted answers.

"Director Fury was an amazing individual, who oversaw everyone's commitment to S.H.I.E.L.D. from Captain America to us down here," Edith continues. "He knew everyone's names, to their families, out of protection or out of pure familiarity I'm unsure but he'd always ask me how my kids were whenever I saw him...I never told him once I had kids but he knew,"