─── ∙ ⋆★ 𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙇𝙓

CHAPTER SIXTY

( UNDER THE RADAR )

════ ⋆✪⋆ ════

STEAM BILLOWED UPWARDS in thin white wisps, curling and spinning against the harsh light of the overhead lamp that beamed down on the sticky tabletop and illuminated the ceramic coffee mug that read "Baby's Diner" in scratched bold letters. She raised the cup up to her lips, sipping on it softly and slowly, her mind numb with the information and events of what happened today. This was her third cup of coffee. A coffee she had promised Anthony hours ago, and was now making it her only pleasure for today.

She places her hand on her chin, resting against the table as exhaustion sweeps over her. The only thing that was keeping her up was the caffeine she had drank, and the worried thoughts of Steve that flooded her mind when it went blank. She wished there was a way for him to contact her, however, he was still failing to answer her panicked texts.

It didn't help that she wanted to tell him about her day. About how she had been felt up, harassed, and how she had made a deal with the devil to help him out at any time just to escape with her life. She could only imagine what horrible things she was going to have to turn a blind eye to, or help with.

She didn't like being held on a string by the mob, it didn't settle right with her. Her stomach flipped just thinking about the exchange that had led up to her unfortunate contract with the Mancini's. How Michael had gripped her face and slobbered on her chin, despite her protests and telling him that he was hurting her. It was like he fed on her fear, on her pain, like some sick succubus that had ensnared her in his trap.

She couldn't help but wonder how Steve would react if she told him. Would he be angry at her or Anthony for making such a foolish deal? Or would he personally go after the Mancini's so she could live a peaceful life with him?

Disappointment floods through her veins and she makes an involuntary groaning sound as she places her head in the palms of her hands, trying to erase all that had happened. When she snapped out of her trance, her eyes wandered to the plastic wrapped toilet paper sitting beside her in a bag, the small normal detail of her life that she still remembered to do.

She did send Robin a text stating she'd be home late. She didn't want to even think of what the Mancini's could do to her if they found out about Robin or her mother. If she refused to help them, one of them would surely receive an unjustified punishment due to her negligence. Or worse, Rudolph would receive the punishment.

She didn't want to think about the Mancini's or the fact that Steve was God knows where fighting some robot. She wanted to be at home, sleeping with Rudolph in her bed, knowing that Steve was safe and sound. Instead, she was sitting at Baby's Diner at twenty-two hundred, nibbling on toast and slamming her third cup of coffee.