─── ∙ ⋆★ 𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙄𝙄

CHAPTER TWO

( THE UPDATE )

════ ⋆✪⋆ ════

   THE SOFT CHATTER of people fills the large room as Quinn enters. The room is sunlit from the glass ceiling and matching glass walls, the only solid wall was towards the back. It was solid concrete with a large, black insignia of an eagle with a circle around it. The words "Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement, and Logistics Division" wrap around within the circle in large cutout letters.

   Most of the people scattered throughout the front area are in business wear but there are a handful of people clad in dark tactical clothes, each donning a utility that they - no doubt - would've picked up from her department at one point in time. Quinn silently awes at the few individuals wearing agents clothes. She longs to become a field agent one day but for now, she'll take the job that they hired her for. I.T. It's as bland of a job as it sounds but it got her foot in the door.

   She smiles warmly at the woman sitting behind a desk, who returns the smile. "Cruise," She greets as Quinn swipes her badge to get through to the room behind the large concrete wall. "Morning, Beth. Miss Edith hasn't arrived yet, has she?" Quinn quietly asks as she stops before entering the door. The older woman chuckles a bit. "Are you late again, Miss Cruise?"

   "Only if you're counting." She replies with a smirk which makes the woman laugh again. "Edith hasn't arrived yet, but I can't say she won't be here for much longer. You better hurry." Quinn is through the door before she even finishes, shouting a thank you over her shoulder.

   The room expands greatly as she passes through the door. There's less of a flow of people wearing business clothes, and a majority is now wearing tactical gear or lab coats. She peers ahead at the six elevators on the far wall. Each door has a large group waiting for people to get on. She groans to herself before picking up the pace, weaving her way through the thick crowd of people.

   She runs into the back of the line for the elevator sooner than what she expected. She feels her heartbeat begin to pick up immensely with each passing second. For a place as busy and as overly-funded as S.H.I.E.L.D., they should invest in more elevators or at least faster ones.

   She begins nervously tapping her fingers to the side of the leg, if she didn't get down to her department she was going to get in serious trouble. No doubt, that Edith, her sections boss, would publicly humiliate her in front of her colleagues. She liked doing that. Quinn had seen it a handful of times and she herself had been at the blunt end of it once. She was never going to make the same mistake again. But today felt like the day where that was going to happen.

   She was nearing the front of the elevator only a handful of people were going to get on before her. She let out a sigh of relief as she began to relax. Once she hit the elevator she was in the clear. She twisted her head from side to side to look around like the busy people. She admires the agents gathering together to discuss new missions or new leads. She imagined being one of them. She could come in when she was needed, she wouldn't have to stress about Edith getting on her for being late.