─── ∙ ⋆★ 𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙇𝙓𝙑

CHAPTER SIXTY-FIVE

( FONDUE? )

════ ⋆✪⋆ ════

════ ⋆✪⋆ ════

THE TOTAL AMOUNT of casualties due to the battle in Novi Grad was rising each day. Each day a rescue team found more people buried under rubble, pierced by poles, suffocated by smoke. Each day the news reported on it, another unreal number skyrocketed to the total destruction of Novi Grad. In a time like this the world was shocked, ill with discomfort, displacement of anger was common when destruction like this took place.

An official statement issued by the Prime Minister of Sokovia indicated that the country was mourning the loss of their capital city, along with those who inhabited it while simultaneously painting a picture that the Avengers were also in the wrong. If it weren't for Tony's Iron Legion, Ultron wouldn't have had the army to take over Novi Grad nor would Ultron exist if they hadn't tampered with the unknown properties of a powerful stone.

Protests were being held in DC and more prominently outside of the tower in New York. Steve hadn't been able to return back to the city for safety reasons, while Quinn had to monitor the situation growing within the city. If Frank was right about the people who were disappearing hating the Avengers, there was a plethora of new potential targets for the abductor.

Even she didn't feel comfortable at work with the lot of eye rolls she'd get from fellow agents. It made her stomach churn as she read through the pages of the newspaper. She knew that tomorrow would hold a new number that would tarnish the reputation of the team and their decisions. She couldn't imagine the hayday January was having. She turned the page to continue reading the passage that Steve had stated in regards to the tragedy, although the journalist who wrote the article had seemingly put the team through the ringer. Instead of heroes they were labeled as terrorists.

She felt a looming presence over her shoulder, hot breath close to her cheek. She folded the paper ever so slightly but Steve's hand stopped her. He was reading the article with her after he refused to buy it. "That's the picture they went with?" he asks, his voice dripping in disgust. Steve wasn't fond of the press at the moment, painting him to be a monster while also applauding him for stopping the extinction of the human race. She smirked as she pulled the brim of navy blue New York Yankees hat down below his eyes.

"Keep your head down, hot shot." she teased him, looking over his shoulder at the few people that were waiting in the terminal with them. She was given strict instructions that their vacation had to be low-key, no one besides authorized personnel were to be made aware of his presence during this time. January had been heavily against the idea, even attempting Asami to persuade them into going at the end of the year but they couldn't wait another minute. If there was anything they learned from the Ultron battle it was every day spent together was a fleeting moment in their lives and needed to be cherished.