─── ∙ ⋆★ 𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙓𝙓𝙓𝙑𝙄𝙄𝙄

CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT

( THE ASSISTANT )

════ ⋆✪⋆ ════

THE APARTMENT WAS surprisingly quiet for once. No cello music, no neighbors romping around upstairs, no loud voices coming from the hallway. For once there was peace and quiet, the first time since she'd moved to New York. It's ironic really, the busiest city in the world and she could lay in bed in total silence. Only the sound on her breathing and Rudolph's soft snoring could be heard.

She smiles widely to herself, getting giddy from the butterflies that arose in her gut. She felt as if she was on cloud nine with everything that has happened in the past twenty-four hours. Even though the man she had feelings for was out on a mission right now, she didn't seem to have an ounce of worry in her. He was always so careful to come back, even if he had a few scratches on him.

She never believed for one moment in her life that Steve Rogers would actually reciprocate her romantic feelings towards him. How she thought of him constantly, how badly she wanted to be beside him, she finally learned that he was also longing for it as well. She could already see Jo's shit-eating grin spread across her face once she told her the news.

If there was news.

A fleeting thought crosses her mind, thinking whether or not Steve would want anyone to know about what had happened last night. She cringes at her stupidity, she should've asked him last night before she left. She sighs before sinking her fingers into Rudolph's silky fur. His wagging tail thumping against the comforter was the first sound she's heard all morning beside her own thoughts.

She had to tell Jo what had happened last night, it was only fair. She had been rooting for them to get together since the start. As she grips her phone it begins to vibrate against her hand, creating an irritating tingling sensation. She narrows her eyes down at the screen to read the name of the annoying caller.

Stark Industries.

She can practically feel her eyes roll in the back of her head. It was bound to be Priya calling to lecture her about something that she somehow found out about. She debated on even answering the phone. However, the thought of describing their date in full detail to her sounded even more delicious than letting her go to voicemail.

On the fourth ring, she picks up. "Hello," she greets in a sing-song voice, hoping to only run salt in Priya's soon-to-be wounded ego. "Miss Cruise?" An unfamiliar voice beckons her name, catching her off guard. She swallows her large ego to replace with skepticism. "This is,"

"Hello, Miss Cruise, I'm calling from Stark Industries HR department. I was wondering if you could swing by the building today. We'd like to talk to you about Steve,"