Chapter 7 - 20 Questions

Something that always bugged bucky was why. Why did they need this particular 3 year old. Why need a 3 year old at all. But why out of all of them why was this one picked.

It had to have been a damn good reason.

But he ran it through his head, in what way could this small for her age, sassy, quiet 3 year old girl benefit hydra. None. There was nothing his brain could come up with.

He was being escorted to a training room when he saw her.

Akilina looking completely drained and if she could run circles around the base at the same time. She hands were cut and she was walking as if it hurt too. She had a cut on her face too the bridge of her nose to be exact. Being brought to where he assumed her cell was.

shit.

After training he was hoping somehow she'd be brought down to his cell, and she was. Escorted by Semenov.

"hey Котёнок haven't seen you in a while" (kitten)

"hey Лето I missed you" (summer)

bucky kneeled in front of her.

" I missed you too doll. Can I have a look at those?" pointing at her hands.

'Mhm' was all he got as a reply.

So he lifted her up onto his bed. She was back in her black tracksuit bottoms, boots, this time she had a long sleeved top on.

He carefully lifted the sleeves, what he saw wasn't good but it wasn't as bad as he thought. He pulled the sleeves back up gently.

"where'd you pop off to" he said while getting back up and sitting next to her.

"eh the red room place. It's a school or academy I don't really know." she replied adding a shrug at the end.

The red room that caught something with bucky. Flashes of red, silver like a knife and then it was gone.

"you okay James"

"I'm good doll I'm good. Tell me about it."

" it's all girls. We do ballet and built guns and use knifes and stuff. OH I can braid my own hair it's supper cool."

Now to say bucky was confused would be and understatement how ever he just chuckled "sounds cool"

"mhm"

Akilina looked ready to collapse from tiredness.

It was the extra night training catching up to her. She was more tired. Shed have to stop doing it or do it for less time anyways.

"doll"

a quiet "yeah" came from Akilina

" how you feeling"

"tired"

"how about you stay awake for a little bit longer huh"

"okay"

"okay"

Bucky smiled softly trying to thing of things to say. "what's your favourite colour"

"green I think I like pink too not like light pink like dark pink" bucky chuckled slightly at her rambling.

"green is a cool colour. Mines blue."

"I like blue."

"who are your parents?"

"mommy and daddy."

"do they have other names?" He thought maybe her parents were hydra and he'd recognise one of their names.

"eh daddy called mommy Mariah and mommy called daddy emm oh Dmitriy. I think. Maybe."

Akilina talked slowly her having to think back on her answers and the tiredness she was feeling causing it.

Mariah and Dmitriy okay that's something. Sort of.

" do you have a last name? "

" Volkova"

That ring some bells in his head but he just couldn't seem to think were he'd heard it before. He was slightly frustrated with not being able to place the names.

"what's your favourite animal?" this question came from Akilina this time snapping bucky out of his thoughts.

"that's a good question. What is my favourite animal? Probably dogs."

Akilina giggled at his answer.

"what" bucky said with an amused tone.

"out of the million billion animals your favourite is a dog."

"what they're cute and fun to mess around with what's you favorite then Akilina."

"squirrels"

" squirrels why squirrels" bucky laughed out.

"they're small,and fast, and funny looking, they sleep a lot, and make weird noises and they're fun to run after." Akilina deadpans.

"squirrels, you know now that I think about it they are better than dogs."

"see I told you"

"yeah, yeah you did."

Akilina was giggling again now.

"do you have any brothers or sisters?"

Akilina suddenly got quiet. Bucky noticed her change in demeanor almost instantly.

She nodded her head yes. "alek. He isn't here."

"do you like fisheys?" she asked him not really noticing she had changed the subject.

"yeah fishes are cool" softly bucky spoke he just went along with it not wanting her to get upset.

Semenov opened the door and bucky helped Akilina off the bed a little. Akilina was sad. She didn't want to leave him.

So just as she was almost at Semenov she turns around and almost launches herself at Bucky's legs, hugging him tightly as if she or he would disappear.

Before anyone could react she was back to walking toward Semenov sniffling. Starting to physical sob.

Her whole body shaking with them.

It absolutely broke Bucky's heart, he could hear it all the while it took her and Semenov to get to the elevator.

Bucky just sat back down feeling oddly numb.

They didn't see each other for at least 2 months after that. And when Akilina was escorted back into Bucky's cell let's just say they were both relieved to see the other was alive.