chapter 49 - Ability

An alarm going off suddenly cause Akilina to suddenly jump to her feet from her small bed. No lights. Nothing. Just a loud annoying alarm. Akilina didn't know how long the alarm played for until It stopped and the door to her cell opened but it felt like hours.

"Ah soldier, your awake good. Lets go" Doctor Fedorov and his usual smirk remarked.

Wonderful.

Akilina followed him down to a training room she was very familiar with.

Powers, he's testing your powers.

"Bring him in" Fedorov shouts at the one way glass.

The training room door opened once again and guards dragged in a man, a bag over his head his hands bound together. They simply threw him on the ground a little ways from Akilina. Fedorov walks over to him and takes the bag off, throwing it to the ground and returning to his position behind Akilina.

"Kill him" he orders.

The man looks up, a mixture of tears and blood pouring down his face and starts to plead for his life.

"Please, I have a wife, kids, please"

Akilina takes a step towards the man but Fedorov stops her.

"Use your powers"

She looks at him slightly, unsure. Akilina turns to look at the man in front of her.

orders are orders. do it.

She raises her hands and the mans pleas turn from whispers to shouts all to deaf ears. Akilinas hands twitch a light blue glow surrounding them as she remembers the way Fedorov had her kill before. The mans shouts turn to gasps as he tries to breathe. She'd took the air from his lungs. The man had begun to choke, turning blue.

"Finish it, quickly" Fedorov ordered from behind her.

Akilinas raised hands twitched again and the man took at deep breathe coughing loudly ,air rushing to his lungs. She dropped one of her hands to her side. The other stayed raised ,closing her fist the man made a weird face of discomfort. As her hand suddenly snapped open the mans neck snapped. He fell to the floor life less.

Akilinas eyes stared at him for a moment she own mind starling her, how little remorse she felt for taking someone's life. How unaffected she was hearing him beg for his life.

its better that way. Easier.

Easier.

She turned around now facing Doctor Fedorov almost immediately regretting it after seeing his face. He was smiling.

I want to kill him.

We will. Eventually.

Good.

"Bring in the next one"

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It went on for hours. People were brought in ,tied up and crying some were already bloody. Akilina ordered to kill the. She just spent hours watching people drown or burn alive. "Tying up lose ends " the doctor had reasoned " sad but necessary".

Akilina felt numb.

She sat quietly on the floor of her cell an empty tray beside her. Akilina had no idea how she had an appetite after the whole ordeal. You'd think the smell of burning flesh would turn someone off their lunch but here food was scarce. You didn't know when your next meal was, so when you got food you ate it, quickly.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The next room she was brought to was painfully bright. Doctor Fedorov didn't come into this one. A little crackling noise came threw the speaker before Fedorovs voice started.

"Now, I suggest you use your brain for this one solder. Your not going to be aloud out until this room is no longer bright. See you soon."

excuse him?

Akilina looked around the room, wracking her brain for anything that might help. There was nothing in the room. He obviously wants to test her powers , so its something she doesn't remember. The room is bright so it has something to do with light. Light.

Dark. Darkness.

Flashes of memories came back to her.

Akilina was looking down as her arm as black vanes started crawling around her hands and up her arms. side eyeing a window seeing her reflection the black vanes came from her eyes.

A black almost smoke like substance pooling in her hands.

The same black smoke forming a shape knife impaling a woman in front of her.

Akilinas eyes an inky black colour.

Darkness. She had something, now all she needed to figure out was exactly how she was going to pull darkness from a room so bright.

How do you summon fire?

I used to get angry now I can just do it.

Akilina sat back against the annoyingly bright wall and held out her hand. A soft blue glow appeared followed by a harsh flame. The fire almost looked like it was dancing in her palm. Familiarizing herself with the sensation of summoning the fire she moved her hand extinguishing the flame. Akilina took a deep breath, raising her other hand she closed her eyes and thought back to the flashes.

The vanes. The smoke. The knife. The way it all seemed to move. The gloomy yet exhilarating feeling she got when she was using it. The power. The colour.

A thud broke the silence causing her to open her eyes. To her surprise her wrists had the same black vanes she'd seen previously. The black smoke pooling in her hands. She can just imagine what her face looked like, the image of her eyes playing in her head.

Akilina focussed on the darkness. Breathing steadily she raised her hands the smoke in her hands pouring out onto the floor. The vast difference of darkness and light almost made the light look brighter.

As hard as she tried to focus on the darkness she was growing tired. Akilina couldn't hold it for very much longer. The more she tried the more tired she got.

Akilia had a pounding headache, she was thirsty too. It had been hours and shed yet to fill even the floor of the room. She was failing and she could not fail doctor fedorov. The consequences of that were dire.

With sudden fear and motivation she tried again. The dark matter filled the floor. She was light headed. It started climbing the walls. Akilina could barely think straight. Half way. She began breathing heavily. Just the ceiling now. Her nose began to bleed. The dark matter covered the entire room and Akilina fell to the floor barley conscious. The darkness disappeared, the door opened, Doctor Fedorov sauntering in grin on his face.

"I told you I would see you soon."