Before the Echos

Easter break came and went as the year began to wind down, and something must have have changed for Sirius because his pranks slowed, then came to a complete stop. Rose was relieved but also disappointed. She had enjoyed the back and fourth so one night when she was snooping around the library and saw Remus doing the same she had to ask why.

"Oi, Remus." She whispered to the boy who was seated at a table reading like it was midday. She doubted he really cared if he got in trouble but still, he made no effort to hide.

He looked up from his book and held the tip of the page between two fingers tightly.

"Evans."

"May I sit?"

"As long as you don't stay too long." He joked.

Rose sat next to him and fiddled with the hem of her skirt for a moment before speaking.

"I have a silly question."

"Of course you do."

"Right...I'll get straight to it then— why has Sirius stopped pranking me back? Did he give up? Doesn't seem like him."

Remus chuckled at the absurdity, then answered.

"No, he's just been putting his devious intentions elsewhere Sniv- Severus seems to get the brunt of it now."

"Huh. I guess that's a bit of a relief then." Rose sighed contently then after a moment of silence decided to pose another question. One more serious in nature and more directly about Remus himself.

"You know, I enjoy being awake till dawn when it's on purpose, you just seem...in the habit of it."

At that Remus placed a ripped piece of paper from a note(that seemed to have James' signature at the bottom) acting as a makeshift bookmark onto the page he was keeping and closed the book.

"And?"

"Well, I'm not asking you to tell me what keeps you up at night Remus, I'm just asking if there's anyway I can help."

Had she crossed a line?

"Can you make a potion to end my suffering?" He said sarcastically.

"Remus!"

"I have all the help I need. Besides, Black nags me about the little amount of time I spend with you now."

"As long as you have some help I guess...with whatever it is." She paused before speaking again.

"And he hates me that much?"

"He hates Snivellus more."

"At least there's that."

__

The last day of her first year at Hogwarts was upon her before she even had the time to process it.

Packing her things into a a trunk she made a stack of polaroids as the girls divvied them up, placing them next to her fake plants and keeping them away from the real plants.

The day was mostly packing, saying goodbyes and eating as classes had already been finished. Exams were over for the year(Regulus had beat her in potions the git). The courses had been interesting but to some from wizarding families seemed to be things they already knew.

"Hey Steph, can I borrow this again today?"

"Sure, just bring it back here when you finish, yeah?"

"Definitely."

Rose finished getting ready for the day, brushing her hair and adding a bit of lip balm, it was meant to smell like pears but honestly had more of an apple scent to it that she enjoyed.