Happy Halloween

Beneath a patch of strawberry plants far past their prime, a little orange snake with a horned nose and green eyes sat coiled as the sun set on October 31st 1981.

"Thorns, that's not a costume." James said as he leaned down to meet eyes with the small reptile.

Rose hissed in return, but James held out his hand for her to wrap around.

"Lily's waiting." James added as he carried Rose inside.

James had inherited the home in Godric's Hallow from his parents who passed away from dragonpox in 1980.

James had been terribly broken by losing both his parents. He'd stay in his father's study far into the night hoping to be visited by his father in a ghostly form, but the visit never came.

Upon entering the home and changing back into her human form, Rose found it was heavily decorated for Halloween. Their were streamers, carved pumpkins, and plenty of spooky lights set up within. In the sink, Rose caught sight of some paint water. Her sister's paint brushes sat drying on the counter beside it.

"No costume?" Lily asked as she came into view dressed as a fairy, wings and all, with little Harry in her arms wearing a baby sized wizard hat.

"No costume. If Regulus can be a ghost for Halloween I can just be a snake and call it a day as well." Rose said with a small chuckle.

"Regulus IS a ghost, they can't be anything else. You're just being lazy." James argued as he joined his wife and son in the living area.

"Am I? Hadn't considered that." Rose said sarcastically as she followed him, taking the small hat from Harry's head and placing it atop her own.

"There we are, I'm a wizard." Rose announced proudly, crossing her arms across her chest.

"You've stolen from a child! You're a criminal!" James exclaimed, though he had a smile on his face.

"Whatever, mate." Rose said as she patted her brother-in-law on the back, warranting yet another smile from the man.

"Anyway" James began as Rose took a seat on a nearby sofa.

"When are the lads gonna get here? Figured they would come with you." He asked, Rose absentmindedly fiddled with the dark green wand in her hair.

"Reggie's spending Halloween with Xeno, Panda, and the little one. Moons had a few things to take care of, Sirius wasn't ready yet, I've not seen Pete in days, so I'm here all alone for now." She said, tiny wizard hat still perched atop her head.

"They'll get here, love." Lily assured James, taking his hand within hers.

"Alright, love. You're right." He responded sweetly as Rose sunk further into the sofa.

The boys had still not arrived as the night darkened. So, it was no surprise that when there came a loud knock at the door James shot up eager to answer it.

It hadn't been Sirius or Peter at the door, no, it had been the Dark Lord.

Rose wasn't sure how exactly the Dark Lord got the idea that their small family was such a threat to his cause, but he had, and he planned to eliminate each threat that came upon him.

Lily hadn't even had time to ask who was at the door before the door shut again, and James turned to Rose.

"Thorns, take Lily to get Harry and go." James practically commanded.

"It's him." He added so she would understand the weight of their situation.

Rose shot up off the sofa to stand next to Lily, her face growing pale.