Figs and Honey

Rose stood in the shadowy room, pale light seeping in from the moon. A subtle fog had settled across the grounds and could be seen through the glass greenhouse. 

Right as the look of shock across her face was replaced by a look of comfort Sirius spoke up.

"That feeling, Rose, it's fleeting." He said and she took one step back from him.

Perhaps it is Sirius.

"Of course." She said, taking steps backwards until the back of the table came in contact with her hip and she leaned against it.

For an instant they were still, then, Rose shoved her hands into the pockets of her old leather coat.

"You should uh- probably scurry along, Padfoot." She tried to joke.

"Yeah, I'll go ahead. I'll see you at breakfast, mate." He said hopping down from the table, careful as to not break any pots  holding screaming plants.

Rose moved the mandrake leaf around in her mouth for a moment before speaking, sounding as reassured and chipper as she could.

"See you at breakfast, Siri."

With that he exited the greenhouse and a cold autumn night was left behind.

For breakfast the next day Rose had figs and honey with cinnamon sprinkled overtop, and she smiled at Sirius and James the same way she always had.

After she finished eating James gave her a questioning look and she spoke up.

"Don't worry, I've still got the leaf." She said sticking her tongue out a tad, the stem of the green leaf poking out.

December 1st 1975

"Okay, Thorns, calm down you're gonna be fine. You've come this far, drink the potion." Remus tried to be both stern and reassuring as Rose paced back and fourth in the marauders' dorm.

"What if I'm like- a bloody caterpillar or something- what if one of you step on me?!"

"I think you'd be a ladybug." Peter said cheerfully

"THAT'S EVEN TINIER PETER"  She yelled anxiously

"You'd be able to fly!" James said from where he was laid across his bed.

"You all need to bloody quiet down." Sirius added.

At that, Rose sighed and popped the small cork of the potion and drank it quickly, making a disgusted face as she began to shrink down in size.

"She's vanished, mates!" James exclaimed.

"Lily's going to be right pissed!" Peter added.

While it was hard to see her on the red and gold rug, Rose had not disappeared, but changed.

A barely audible hiss was heard and Remus bent down to pick her up with his finger. A soft-tangerine colored snake curled around it as he lifted her to show the other boys. She had an upturned hognose and green eyes.

"Godric, she's a snake." Sirius said in disbelief.

Remus sat Rose down on Peter's shoulder and he squirmed a little.

"You'll finally have someone your own size, Pete." He said.

Peter found some of his Gryffindor courage in that moment and transformed into a rat.

Rose's instant response was to curl around him and hiss, Peter turned back and held Rose out in his hand.

"Take her back, Moons." He said.

"Here ya go, Thorns." Remus said and placed her onto the flower she had made him.

"The name Thorns still works for you, huh?" He asked and Rose hissed again, this time with an open mouth to show her fangs before curling around the flower.

"Alright, Thornsie, time to try and change back." Sirius said in a calm voice.

A momentary flash of worry came over the snake's features, but she slithered out of the flowerpot and onto the floor, seconds later she was standing in front of the group again.

"It worked!" She exclaimed and flopped down beside James, causing him to bounce.

Sirius looked down at the two of them.

"Nice one, Thorns." He said and she sat up quickly.

"Wait, does this mean I get to help you guys with his transformations? I could sit in James' antlers." Rose suggested, they had discussed the answer to that question before, and each time it still felt unsure.

"No. For now it's a no, Rose." Remus answered for the group.

"I'm sure you'll come in handy for loads of pranks though." James said looking up at her.

"You're right. We should definitely put that to use." She said with a mischievous smile.